Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

I went out and bought a 2014 Forester with a 6-spd manual over the weekend and have a question regarding clutch usage.

Before the Forester I had an Xterra with a manual. I noticed that it's a bit easier to start off from a stop in the Xterra than with the Forester. I could engage the clutch with engine speed pretty close to idle and it would take off nice and smoothly. With the Forester it seems like I need to give it a bit more juice (~1-1.5k rpm) to get it started smoothly, otherwise it starts lugging and rubberbanding.

Is this pretty normal with this engine/transmission setup? Obviously, I'd like to maximize clutch life here.

Other than that, loving my new ride so far! Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Less torque and all wheel drive means more slippage is required. It's always best to slip for the longevity of the vehicle. Not excessive, but more than a typical 2wd vehicle.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
661 Posts
How many miles on the Xterra? Once your new clutch breaks/wears in a little you will be able to start out from idle in the Subie also. You may also be getting used to the Subarus electronic throttle which probably has a very different action than the cable throttle in your old car.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Before the Forester I had an Xterra with a manual
What engine in the Xterra?

Welcome to the forum!
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,699 Posts
Can't speak for the Subaru...but 50+ years driving clutch vehicles I slip as humanly little as possible at the lowest rpm possible without jerking. Never replaced 1 clutch in all that time. No reason I can see that it would be different in this vehicle. Might just take a tad more driving depending on your level of experience.

I drove an08 when I was shopping and don't recall anything different...I am sure I would have noticed. Both auto and manual were fine. I wanted a manual bit it was the wife's vehicle so I lost the battle...yes'''she started driving a manual on my then new '69 Camaro she can handle it. :)

·
Registered
2016 Impeza 5 speed
111 Posts
Just get use to it. I think it is one of the best manuals I've had. I also thought the same thing for the first 2000 miles. First gear is low and you have to shift to second quickly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies!

It looks like the consensus is to just get used to it! I can do that. :)

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,120 Posts
Yup, just get used to it. I've owned a lot of stick shift cars since 1970 and they all have their own sweet spots for smooth and low-friction driving style. You'll get used to it. I have an '09 Foz with a stick and the availability of a manual was a primary reason I chose a Subaru. I've got 68k miles on it as of tonight.

Many safe and happy miles to you,
George

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
I learned to drive on Chevy truck clutches. It took me about a year to adjust to the Subaru clutch when I got my Forester. Be patient - you will adjust - it just might not happen as quickly as you would like.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6-speed Manual
48 Posts
... otherwise it starts lugging and rubberbanding.

Is this pretty normal with this engine/transmission setup?
My '14 6-speed just turned over 5,000 miles. I was hoping the clutch engagement would smooth out after a few miles, but it hasn't. I'm 52, and with the exception of one vehicle in my lifetime, all have been manuals.
I have to admit, I think this is the worst vehicle I have owned as far as the feel of the clutch engagement. When I take it in for it's oil change, I think I may have them take a look at it. I'm wondering if the hydraulic clutch line was never bled correctly and may have a little air in the line.

G

·
Have they come out with a master cylinder brace for the '14s yet? Previous year Foresters have terrible clutch feel because the firewall is so flexible.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I had an '01 V6 Frontier before the Forester, close enough to Xterra. It felt like a truck, probably had a heavy flywheel and short first gear, it was made easy to start in first since it's a truck (towing, carrying load, etc). Forester will feel more like a car because it's built like one. Should still be very easy to drive as far as manuals go, especially with hill holder.

Stan

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had an '01 V6 Frontier before the Forester, close enough to Xterra. It felt like a truck, probably had a heavy flywheel and short first gear, it was made easy to start in first since it's a truck (towing, carrying load, etc). Forester will feel more like a car because it's built like one. Should still be very easy to drive as far as manuals go, especially with hill holder.

Stan
Do the new models have the hill holder feature?

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
Less torque and all wheel drive means more slippage is required. It's always best to slip for the longevity of the vehicle. Not excessive, but more than a typical 2wd vehicle.
^+1
The hill assist is nice but you do have to raise the RPMs to start the vehicle on an incline.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
Can't speak for the Subaru...but 50+ years driving clutch vehicles I slip as humanly little as possible at the lowest rpm possible without jerking. Never replaced 1 clutch in all that time. No reason I can see that it would be different in this vehicle. Might just take a tad more driving depending on your level of experience.
I agree completely to adc - same experiences driving 42 years clutch vehicles, 3 Subarus included.
I even use my MT cars since 35 years for hunting purposes.
The FWD cars for "very light" off-roading, the AWD cars for "normal" or sometimes even harder off-roading, but never a replacement of a clutch.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
I really wish that my '01 Forester had a hill holder! I don't even know if I would be able to put one on a Forester that wasn't made to have it. :$

I have to put the RPM's on my Forester to around the 1.3ish k level so that it doesn't shake, but my clutch also has issues and some play around the top, so it catches a bit less than if it had a better clutch. Suppose I destroyed it learning how to drive it, but now I'm actually good at it, so I know how to deal with the weird clutch. :p Therefore, my case might not be an accurate representation of Subarus... haha.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
I never driven 14+ model but from my experience the extra RPM and clutch slipping are because of the super soft rear differential mount bushing on my 07. You always feel the need to rev it a lot higher than needed because if not you get that lurching back and forth feeling.

The rear diff mount bushing are stupidly soft and flexible.

I fill mine with hot glue and it much better. Problem is they do not last long. It seems I have to redo it once a year. I am going to try 3M fast cure windshield sealant to see if they last longer.

This is more of what I am talking about http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/drivetrain-lurch-back-forth-123364/

The 09+ model you could buy poly bushing insert that are really easy to install.

Maybe 14+ model could use the same bushing insert.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts