Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey great folks,
Just wanted some good advice from you guys.

I went to get my oil changed today and the dealer said I have a transmission harness leaking and it costs almost $1000 to fix.

1. What does this mean, and do I need to fix it soon? Suggestions are welcome.

2. Unrelated question, my 2001 Forester has 74 k miles on it, since I don't drive much, do I need to perform maintenance based on age of the car or based on mileage.

For example I drive 2-3k miles a year, do I need to do an oil change once a year or every 3 months irregardless of mileage.

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES! :Banane35:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Unrelated question, my 2001 Forester has 74 k miles on it, since I don't drive much, do I need to perform maintenance based on age of the car or based on mileage.
Id say do it every 3 months since the oil tends to sit on the gaskets in the heads the less acidic it is, the better .. same with changing the antifreeze on time, you don't need it eating away at the head gaskets internally. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a slight leak. If I continue refilling the fluid will it be fine or should I get it fixed? Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Just have it checked at every oil change. If it is not dripping on the ground I would not worry to much about it. The o ring is around 2.00 and the labor should only be about 2.5 hrs.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
15 Posts
Speaking as someone who's got a lot of european auto repair under my belt, but not a lot of subaru work, the only two problems this can cause are: 1. low transmission fluid level. 2. mercedes-benzes have a similar problem with leaking into the wiring harness for the transmission, the ATF often gets forced all the way to the trans computer and we have to clean that out. Oddly, the trans oil in the wiring doesn't seem to cause any problems. If nobody on the forum has heard of this happening in subies, don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking as someone who's got a lot of european auto repair under my belt, but not a lot of subaru work, the only two problems this can cause are: 1. low transmission fluid level. 2. mercedes-benzes have a similar problem with leaking into the wiring harness for the transmission, the ATF often gets forced all the way to the trans computer and we have to clean that out. Oddly, the trans oil in the wiring doesn't seem to cause any problems. If nobody on the forum has heard of this happening in subies, don't worry too much about it.
I think the 2nd point is same for Subaru as well. I'm not sure about the o-ring, but the dealer mentioned wiring in the transmission. Its just that $1000 is a little steep. I'll just keep refilling ATF as necessary.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Hey great folks,
2. Unrelated question, my 2001 Forester has 74 k miles on it, since I don't drive much, do I need to perform maintenance based on age of the car or based on mileage.

For example I drive 2-3k miles a year, do I need to do an oil change once a year or every 3 months irregardless of mileage.

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES! :Banane35:
I would change the oil with synthetic at least once a year. If you have wider than average seasonal swings in temperatures or humidity then I would change it twice per year.

Definitely change your timing and drive belts based on age, not mileage!

Keep an eye out for deterioration on radiator and heater hoses as well as anything else rubber.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
I think the 2nd point is same for Subaru as well. I'm not sure about the o-ring, but the dealer mentioned wiring in the transmission. Its just that $1000 is a little steep. I'll just keep refilling ATF as necessary.
The transmission wiring harness has a o-ring that seals it. You do not need to replace the whole harness the o-ring is available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts