Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but I can't seem to get an answer anywhere else, so I guess if I look stupid so be it. ;-) I currently have a 2015 Touring with self-dimming, lighted approach side mirrors, and I like them and want to have them in the 2019 Touring I'm about to order. Because the vehicles are in short supply, it sounds like the dealer will get one in the color I want from another dealership, and then go from there on any differences in equipment I want, and I think it's unlikely they'll find one with these mirrors. (I had to purchase and add them to my 2015 which was also obtained from another dealership.)

I'm curious though, since the 2019 Tourings have blind spot detection (my 2015 does not), and I'm assuming the indicator for that is in the side mirrors as on my husband's Outback Touring, if I add the approach lighted mirrors, will they still also have the blind spot detection light?

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium CVT
370 Posts
I believe the blind spot warning lights are not in the mirror housing on the 2019 but rather on the outside, facing the driver... kinda like this. If that's the case, I don't think approach lights would interfere with having blindside monitoring

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,236 Posts
I have both on my 17’ Touring.
The warning light is illuminated in the mirror.
That said I wish it audible as well as visual.
I find myself not noticing the warning light at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Yogibear is correct. The Blind Spot light is an LED strip on the inside side of the mirror housing.
The Appoach Light is a LED light behind a Subaru Symbol on the front, top outside corner of the mirrors.
So no worries.

·
Registered
2014 Volt
23 Posts
I have both on my 17’ Touring.
The warning light is illuminated in the mirror.
That said I wish it audible as well as visual.
I find myself not noticing the warning light at times.

nice idea, 2 tiny tone generators in the driver headrest. And yes, it certainly is easy to not notice warning lights, my wife is always reminding me to turn of my lane change blinkers.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
@Whitesc is spot on and exactly how it is on my 19 Sport.

Thats a more attention grabbing display then in the mirror.

SG ? Let me hear it…

I think it is too. Kinda hard to miss a rather bright amber light.
Should see the thing go off when the RAB activates lol. Christmas time with interior beeping and the infotainment screen RAB icons all flash. Works as described.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,440 Posts
My Audi and new Acura RDX are the same way as the new Suby's. Many manufacturers are now placing the blind spot warning on the side of the mirror or on the inside of the door panel where the mirror connects since it is much easier to see than when it's embedded in the mirror glass itself. Great idea IMPO.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,236 Posts
My Audi and new Acura RDX are the same way as the new Suby's. Many manufacturers are now placing the blind spot warning on the side of the mirror or on the inside of the door panel where the mirror connects since it is much easier to see than when it's embedded in the mirror glass itself. Great idea IMPO.

I agree SG. I find mine disappears in plain sight more often then not.
That being said, ”Blind Spot Assistance” is a fantastic safety feature in automobiles today.

Auto S/S… ?
Well that’s debatable.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!

Thanks all! That is great news. Looking forward to getting my 2019 one of these days (dealer can't guesstimate when they'll find one)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts