Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking online, I have found what appeares to be the exact same kit and part number, but prices anywhere from $175 to $300 (with water pump). Is there something I am missing, or are some folks just trying to make a few more buck than others?

Chris

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
Im going to guess that people are just trying to make some extra money. Get it off rockauto. That has to be the cheapest place by far.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
I use gates for belts, hoses and bearings. I used a Pronto water pump, my old job used pronto pumps and they seem to be very durable.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
593 Posts
I've used the Gates kits before, idlers & tensioner are all made in Japan, while the belt is made in the US by Gates which is still excellent quality. However if I were to change the water pump, I would go with the pump manufactured by "Aisin" since it is also made in Japan... it is available on Rockauto.com.....

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
311 Posts
I've used the Gates kits before, idlers & tensioner are all made in Japan, while the belt is made in the US by Gates which is still excellent quality. However if I were to change the water pump, I would go with the pump manufactured by "Aisin" since it is also made in Japan... it is available on Rockauto.com.....
Yeah.. I probably shoulda used a quality Japanese made part... Instead I used this "Habuki". Hopefully it's not a bunch of "Dookie" Haha.... so far so good anyway.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
35 Posts
I used a Gates kit and AISIN water pump when I did my timing belt too, but only because the kit with the water pump wasn't in stock at the time. The AISIN water pump looked like good quality and came with the metal gasket

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...bought the Gates kit and the Aisin water pump from Rock Auto. Did the install yesterday...took about 4 hours total, so not too bad for a first time. Air ratchet definitely helped speed up the process. Thank you all for your responses.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
OK...bought the Gates kit and the Aisin water pump from Rock Auto. Did the install yesterday...took about 4 hours total, so not too bad for a first time. Air ratchet definitely helped speed up the process. Thank you all for your responses.

Chris
Hopefully you torqued the bolts to spec and didn't trust the air ratchets stall point as achieving the correct torque.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts