Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. For those that have done the CVT drain and fill, now that you have done it.. Would you do it again? Any regrets? Any issues

Any suggestions for someone that is seriously thinking about it for their '17 Touring?

I have no problems tackling oil changes, front/rear oil changes, and I have read everything that I can on the CVT drain/refill.. I feel very confident that it is something I can do..

Brian

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
830 Posts
My question is temperature readings.
Getting the correct range requirements. Would one of those digital thermometers work? IR thermometers reading the cvt pan may not be the most accurate way. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
730 Posts
You're referring to something like a digital grill thermometer with a probe? Could work.

Tape the probe tightly to the pan with aluminum tape, then cover with some insulation, also taped on. The entire probe, not just the tip should be in contact. The goal being to read the pan temperature and not an average of the surrounding air and the pan. There will be a time lag between the fluid temperature, and the temperature of the pan, so you'll want to stop before it reaches the target temperature. Might take a little experimenting.

Or get yourself a scangauge II to display the actual temperature.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thank you. I’ll look into the ScanGage2
$140 but this way, I can do all of my own cvt fluid changes myself. Dealership wants $450 here in Nashville. I’m also looking at the Assenmacher atf fluid pump. Not cheap. That brings the total to around $420 with cvt hi torque cvt2 fluid. Orange color. Ebay?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is cvt fluid hi torque available in quart bottles or only 5 gal. drum? Does anyone have the part number for this orange color cvtf in quart bottles if available?? I’ve searched everywhere.

Aren’t those containers on EBay the blue cvt fluid?

Ebay listing:

Genuine Subaru CVTF-II CVT Transmission Fluid (8 Quarts) - SOA427V1660 OEM

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just discovered that the orange hi torque cvt Subaru fluid is only sold in 5 gal. Buckets. Way more than I need for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts