Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently installed a Helix flex uppipe in addition to my Invidia catless Downpipe. This totally removes all cats I had in my exhaust system. I expected an increase in emissions due to this, but my vents would blow in exhaust into the cabin occassionally. This only happens when I'm driving at a low speed or when I'm stopped. All around and under the front of the car is quiet. No exhaust leaks heard.

Is it the nature of exhaust to travel to the front of the car around the vent inlet area from time to time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Im 99% sure this is normal. Now that im catless i smell the fumes whenever im waiting at stoplights etc. Once i start moving again the smell goes away...doesnt bother me
 

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
Joined
·
1,694 Posts
jbleee said:
Once i start moving again the smell goes away...doesnt bother me
What about the other people in the traffic?

As a motorbike and bicycle rider I can tell you that sitting behind someone who is putting out foul fumes is terrible.
 

·
Registered
1994 Miata MX-5 5MT
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
I am catless myself (injen dp/up & Invidia G200 exhaust). I only smell it myself at stop signs and street lights and then goes away while I start to move again. but friends of mine tell me they can smell me when they are behind me driving (and it doesnt help that I am using a fully atmospheric bov either). I'd say its normal.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
kickin_81 said:
I have just recently installed a Helix flex uppipe in addition to my Invidia catless Downpipe. This totally removes all cats I had in my exhaust system. I expected an increase in emissions due to this, but my vents would blow in exhaust into the cabin occassionally. This only happens when I'm driving at a low speed or when I'm stopped. All around and under the front of the car is quiet. No exhaust leaks heard.

Is it the nature of exhaust to travel to the front of the car around the vent inlet area from time to time?
what about the power difference with cat and without it?
 

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^it was barely noticable powerwise, but the throttle response is much better. Stab the throttle and the RPMs jump almost right away. :D
 

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
dicknose said:
[What about the other people in the traffic?

As a motorbike and bicycle rider I can tell you that sitting behind someone who is putting out foul fumes is terrible.
I agree with the noxious fumes when on a bike as well as peoples lack of brains when it comes to yielding right of way to motorcycles as well.

But I don't recall ever sitting behind cars at a stop. There's never a traffic jam or the chance of getting squashed between two cars when you're on a bike in the U.S. Is it illegal to split lanes in Australia?
 

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
Joined
·
1,694 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
But I don't recall ever sitting behind cars at a stop. There's never a traffic jam or the chance of getting squashed between two cars when you're on a bike in the U.S. Is it illegal to split lanes in Australia?
Its semi-legal!
Cops will tell you its illegal, but depending on where the lane markers are you can do it legally.

I do lane split a lot, but sometimes the roads just arent wide enough and you have to stay where you are.
 

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
I hear ya! In the U.S., you must not go more than a 5-10 MPH faster than the traffic you're splitting.
What happens though is, especially on the highway, I want to get in front of the cars so as I get through one batch of cars, inevitably, another batch comes up and you end up going faster and faster to maintain this open space. Got a lot of tickets that way but i'd rather take my chances with the cops than sit amongst cars letting them decide my fate.

The cops don't like it because with all the saddlebags and what not, they aren't able to split lanes like a sportbike and end up unable to keep up with us which they hate. I was behind a cop on city streets once and I knew he could hear me behind him so he was trying to go faster and almost fell into a car at a light. He was so pissed and embarassed that he pulled me over to ask what my rush was and I told him I wasn't in a rush and that I was stuck behind him. Obviously not the way to score points.

MAJOR threadjack. sorry! :oops:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top