Most likely the stock 15 mags.

The tires cost +/- $50-60$ less

Now, my forester has these rims
16x6.5 + 48mm offset

It's the Canadian S sport model
and I'm wondering if the 15"s will clear the brakes

I will be lifting the car in the future, maybe 1 or 2"
What are you recommendations?

Since I will have no use for the 16" I will sell them and try to get some nice 15" to go with my geolanders.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
What year?
The later models(04 and on I think)came with 16" rims.
15" rims will fit but you gotta grind some metal off the calipers to make it work.
Got 15" on my 01 with Yoko Geo 225/70 15 AT-S's and they fit.
Just fit.

The lift will make little difference in the tire size you can run,I've got 2" lift but had tires on it before the lift.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year?
The later models(04 and on I think)came with 16" rims.
15" rims will fit but you gotta grind some metal off the calipers to make it work.
Got 15" on my 01 with Yoko Geo 225/70 15 AT-S's and they fit.
Just fit.

The lift will make little difference in the tire size you can run,I've got 2" lift but had tires on it before the lift.

Its a 2002 S, car in my SIG,

Didn't some OEM foresters come with 15" alloys? And some with Steelies?
Are the calipers different on those foresters?

I also heard that I can run the older impreza calipers/brackets and I don't need to grind anything..Is this true?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Its a 2002 S, car in my SIG,

Didn't some OEM foresters come with 15" alloys? And some with Steelies?
Are the calipers different on those foresters?

I also heard that I can run the older impreza calipers/brackets and I don't need to grind anything..Is this true?
Yes, some came with 15" wheels. My 99' L did. I actually did the reverse of what you want to do (upgraded stock front brakes to early wrx brakes). All that was required was a bigger caliper bracket (re-used stock caliper) and bigger rotors. So the calipers should be the same.

I actually have my stock front brake take-offs still sitting in the garage, but its heavy and I'd hate to think how much it'd be to ship them to Canada.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, some came with 15" wheels. My 99' L did. I actually did the reverse of what you want to do (upgraded stock front brakes to early wrx brakes). All that was required was a bigger caliper bracket (re-used stock caliper) and bigger rotors. So the calipers should be the same.

I actually have my stock front brake take-offs still sitting in the garage, but its heavy and I'd hate to think how much it'd be to ship them to Canada.
Yeah, well I was thinking about this.. and I think I'll stay the 16" route.
Because I also plan on swapping a WRX engine next winter, and I wanted to upgrade my carriers and put bigger rotors and better pads for the added braking power... so I think it would be best for me to stay with the 16" since there are also more mags avail. to choose if I go this route.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
15'' rims shoudl clear the brakes on all SF models (up to to 98-02), but not on 03+

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
^ What Tau said.

If you really want to go 15" and save room for bigger brakes, there are lots of Rally wheels that are 15x7 that will clear the larger 4/2 pot brakes. You can usually find them in the $350-800 range (used-new). I was going to go this route but didn't have the $ when I found the deals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts