Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
NA NA NA
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am interested in buying a Forester 14 2.5i Premium. Well actually my girlfriend will be using it primarily.

She test drove it a few days ago and liked it, although she is an amateur when it comes to technical features of cars, handling etc.

I liked the vehicle, especially given the numerous positive reviews it has on here, but had a few disappointments, primarily the lack of technological features and the interiors being a bit bland.

I was wondering if I could add in some of the features I desire through the aftermarket? In particular:

1) Fog lights - I believe the Subaru add on Fog lights cost $700

2) Can I get HID/LED lights?

3) I found the inclusion of a CD player to be dated. I believe that is included in all the models. Is there any way I can replace the CD player?

4) Is it worth upgrading to the 2.5i Limited to get the leather seats? auto lift for the trunk? and the dual climate control?

5) I cannot recall if either model (Premium or Limited) offers an auto dimming rear view mirror and rear privacy windows?

These are all the 'aesthetic' upgrades I can think of at this moment! I appreciate your help with any these.

Thanks!
desidude

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
1) You can buy the Subaru Fog Light kit online and install it yourself, or it looks like it is a $335 option from the factory installed.

2) You can only get HIDs from the factory on higher trims with eyesight. You can do it aftermarket with a retrofit, but do it the right way or not at all. This is the right way: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/hid-projection-retrofit-complete-159169/ or you can buy the whole OEM HID headlight assembly to put in on your own.

3) Quite a few people have swapped headunits on their 2014 models. Long thread on it here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...rket-dash-nav-2014-xt-swap-backup-cam-154385/

4) I like the leather, but some people do not. I could live without the auto-liftgate, but it is nice to have on occasion. The dual climate control is only on Touring trims, but the Limited will get you automatic climate control (single temp).

5) Automatic dimming rearview mirror is an option when building the vehicle on all trim levels. Exterior dimming side mirrors with approach lights are an option on all trim levels as well.

As for the lack of technology and the bland interior, that is just the Subaru way. Designed with engineering in mind and then touched up by designers as an afterthought. That is why Subaru makes such mechanically sound, reliable, safe, and all around well designed vehicles.

·
Registered
2015 WRX Base 6MT
90 Posts
1) As for the lack of technology and the bland interior, that is just the Subaru way. Designed with engineering in mind and then touched up by designers as an afterthought. That is why Subaru makes such mechanically sound, reliable, safe, and all around well designed vehicles.
Which is why some of us love them so much! Less to go wrong!

On a more serious note, yes, most of those things can be fixed, though I've never felt anything really lacking.

Also, it may well be worth considering other manufacturers that include these features - though I hate to be the guy to bring it up!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
59 Posts
As for the lack of technology and the bland interior, that is just the Subaru way. Designed with engineering in mind and then touched up by designers as an afterthought. That is why Subaru makes such mechanically sound, reliable, safe, and all around well designed vehicles.
We were only considering Japanese cars, so this is only based on the Forester and other Japanese cars in its class, CR-V, RAV4, CX5.

As far as interiors go, the CX5 has by far the best look to it. Had lots of nice bells and whistles, including the blind spot detection. Problem was, it NEEDED the blind spot detection. You couldn't see crap out of its tiny windows. And the ride was nowhere near as nice at the Forester. Could feel almost every bump in the road.

CR-V, totally cheap interior. You think Subaru's is bad? CR-V will have you scratching your head.

RAV4 we ended up not looking at in person. We wanted leather, they only had fake leather. Why pay premium for fake leather?

As for one of your questions:

4) Is it worth upgrading to the 2.5i Limited to get the leather seats?
The limited comes with other options, such as the all-weather package that some people might opt for (Premium Manual comes with it as well, CVT is an add on). You get some more body stylings, like the fog lights, spoiler, and the rear cargo tray thrown in. You also get X-mode.

There's a decent amount of bells and whistles you get with the Limited over the Premium that to us just made sense instead of going Premium and trying to add things to it.

Hopefully this helps: 2014 Subaru Forester

·
Registered
2014 Limited CVT
18 Posts
If you want leather and fog lights I think the Limited has the best value. For all the options you want you are looking at a Touring with extra packages and up to 35K MSRP.

I found this site most helpful when deciding what I needed and what was available:
2014 Subaru Forester

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
114 Posts
Interesting as these are not the things that I considered important.

1) This is useful and helpful especially in foggy or snowy night. A must to have safety feature. I believe you can install after market fog lights yourself.

2) HID is expensive to repair when broken (typically around $1000) as far as I know. I don't recommend installing after market HID. Heard a few stories that the heat burnt through the lens or things like that.

3) It is outdated but I use USB sticks so tons of songs I can put in. Don't even need to use the CD.

4) No leather for me. It's warm in summer and cold in winter when you get into the car. Good that it's an option for Subaru.

5) I don't use or need auto dimming rear view mirror since I am using wide angle rear view mirror that covers the original one. Rear window is tinted so I'm OK.

·
Registered
2014 Premuim CVT
104 Posts
I got a premium because my wife does not like leather and I did not like the rear spoiler or chrome molding. Instead I got a Premium with Nav and I bought the OEM fog lights online for $280 and will be adding them myself as soon as they arrive (just ordered today). The dealer wanted over $700 to add. I think it takes about 1 1/2 hours to install and the car is pre wired for them so its real easy to do.

Another nice addon to get is the body side molding which I think looks really nice and may save you from some door dings down the road. You can get the auto dimming mirrors (inside and out) with any forester. Dealer can add them on. Cold weather package comes with the premium when you get the automatis transmission along with the panoramic sunroof. I also added the chrome tail pipe extension for $35. Its hardley noticable but the premium does not have one by default and I does add a little something to the back. I also got the Trunk tray and cargo net, All weather mats and forester Door sill plates (whatever their called). You can get the dealer to throw in some of these things, If you haggle a little, but some of them you will have to buy seperatly.

After the dust settled, I probably spent more on the premium with Nav and all the dealer installed extras, than a Limited base model with nothing else. However, we wanted the car a certain way, and I guess were funny that way.

As others have stated, if you realy like leather and live in an area where X-mode may come in handy, get the limited.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Cvt
1 Posts
I am lookin in the Vegas area for a Premium with no extras, we have only one dealer in Vegas and they don't have any without add ons or the colors we want, so I'm looking in Utah and Arizona. What a good price without any addons?
I am also Military so does anyone know about military discounts from Subaru?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
65 Posts
1) The dual climate control is only on Touring trims, but the Limited will get you automatic climate control (single temp).
Our 2014 2.5i Limited w/leather has dual climate control. Now, The Wife wants different fan speeds. What, turning my seat heater ON because I HATE heated seats isn't enough fun for one lifetime?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium 6mt
78 Posts
Our 2014 2.5i Limited w/leather has dual climate control. Now, The Wife wants different fan speeds. What, turning my seat heater ON because I HATE heated seats isn't enough fun for one lifetime?
Canadian trim features differ from US trims. Limited in US is single auto, Touring is the only way to get dual.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,922 Posts
OP never got back..another "Hit and Run"

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
65 Posts
Canadian trim features differ from US trims. Limited in US is single auto, Touring is the only way to get dual.
Ah, Subaru, they must know what whiners we Canadians all are at heart. Limited 2.5i is a $3K up charge over the Touring 2.5i here. Maybe the "trims" don't line up at all? I tried to check with subaru.com, but it won't load. Is EVERYBODY XMAS Day shopping Subbies and/or options?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Ah, Subaru, they must know what whiners we Canadians all are at heart. Limited 2.5i is a $3K up charge over the Touring 2.5i here. Maybe the "trims" don't line up at all? I tried to check with subaru.com, but it won't load. Is EVERYBODY XMAS Day shopping Subbies and/or options?
Yeah, for whatever reason, the trims go by different names or in a different order for canada.

Our top model is the Touring, both in 2.5i and XT models.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Here has all the info on the US models.

I think Canada has a pretty good trim packages this year, but we always pay more.

·
Registered
NA NA NA
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi friends,

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Once again apologies for the late reply.

desidude

1 - 15 of 15 Posts