Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Had a question regarding the Subaru rubber floor mats...as most if not all know by now the serious Toyota / Lexus recalls regarding both floor mats & sticking accelerator pedals (for the record, I don't think the recall is over yet) & it got me thinking...

My Wife's 2003 XS has the Subaru rubber ('all weather'?) floor mats and the drivers side has 1 rubber anchor or 'clip' on the left of the floor that attaches to the very left part of the mat to secure it in place...having said that, everytime I get in the car I notice that I have to adjust & reinstall it as it has poped off & the mat is pushed under the accelerator pedal slightly & keeps coming off the clip (not sure what the Wife is doing to make that happen) but it brings up a good question...should these mats have 2 clips instead of 1? Can an additional clip be installed? I will be taking the mat out for the time being to be on the safe side & putting back the carpet ones that grip better.

Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Wow, first MarkyD resurfaces, now Subifreak :Banane02:

First hope all is well with your family and you.

Here's what my mechanic did (Subaru tech) with his 04 Forester OEM rubber mats. Along the trailing edge closest to the seat base he bolted a strip of carpet track underneath the mat and put a dab of silicone on the screw heads and washers. The sharp pointy tips of the track dig in to the carpet and since the points are unidirectional it has a good grip and doesn't slide. A visit to a carpet store would probably give you a selection of track for different carpets.

Having recently removed some carpet at a friends and accidently stepped on some I can attest to their ability to dig in.:yell:

Good luck

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
123 Posts
Subaru design crew must have noticed or been informed of that flaw.
2 posts in floor and 2 holes in mats on 09/10 models
Hmmm... my '10 Touring doesn't have posts in the floor... It has the mat holes though in the regular cloth mats that came with the vehicle (I bought some Michelin rubber ones that do the trick nicely for this time of year).. Are they there in some models and not others??

Brian.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
if you notice the mats slipping get a roll of stick on Velcro and attach the 'hook' side to the underside of the mats, put a small piece on all 4 sides and 1 or 2 in the middle and that should keep them still.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Mine does the same thing, pops off that little nub and gets to traveling under our feet.

Not only has it occurred to me about safety concerns but I dont like how the little rubber nubbies on the back (that are suppose to help hold the mat in place) are rubbing up the actual carpet underneath. Its starting to give my carpet the 'shag' look.

I'll be getting rid of these in our 03 and getting WeatherTech for that formed true fit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.