Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all second generation Foresters have side air bags? And if not, how do you tell which ones have it? I'm wondering about a side impact on an 03XS where no airbags were deployed.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,863 Posts
My '03X seats have tags that says "SRS airbag" on it. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks, that what I thought. I was wondering why they didn't go off.

But in this case the car was hit on the passenger side, and there was no passenger in that seat. So I supsect the airbags on that side were not active. That's all I can think of, because the hit was fairly vicious.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Okay, thanks, that what I thought. I was wondering why they didn't go off.

But in this case the car was hit on the passenger side, and there was no passenger in that seat. So I supsect the airbags on that side were not active. That's all I can think of, because the hit was fairly vicious.
Second generation air bags will have a weight sensor in the seat to tell if the passenger is large enough (heavy enough) that their body can withstand the impact of hitting the Air Bag. IE to sense if the passenger will be injured by the Air Bag, instead of "Saved" by the Air Bag. That is so if your little 8 year old was sitting in the passenger seat the Air Bag will not break their neck (it has happened).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks. That helps explain why nothing deployed in that situation, though all was working perfectly. Much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts