Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice your local dealers charging more for upgrade options (port assembled) then what is advertised on Subarus website? I was wondering why the MSRP quote was higher then what the Subaru website was advertising. Can anyone tell me how far off your actual window sticker MSRP is from Subarus website MSRP?

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
I think it depends on where it ships to. Cost varies on distance. Option packs should be the same everywhere unless the dealer charges install fees or some hidden fees.

I'm assuming you're in Reno since all the Las Vegas subie dealers are owned by the same guy. U can't really haggle much as they got a monopoly in Vegas and closest city in Utah.

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes I'm in Reno. My dealer is charging full MSRP on options upgrades which is not the case on the Subaru website. Why? Kinda weird. Are options negotiable?

Here's how I did. (Note the MSRP here compared to what you get on the Subarus website :/. Almost a $500 difference.

Description 2014 Forester 2.5i Premium

(All-Weather Package)

-Dealer Invoice $26,055
-MSRP $28,149

Port-Installed Accessories
(FYM) (KGB| QGJ| PGE| MGA) POPULAR PACKAGE #2
(QGT) FOG LAMP KIT - GREY INTERIOR
(RGA) REMOTE ENGINE STARTER KIT
(DGA) SPEAKER KIT
(JGA) FRONT SIDE SILL PLATE

The Price "offered" to me: $24,768 with all fees included except tax. With tax (7.62%) the price is $26655 (Out the door).

How am I looking hear?

·
Registered
14 FXT Prem CVT
69 Posts
So you are at $24,768 when the invoice is $26,055?

That is $1287 under invoice, or invoice less 4.94%. That appears to be a great deal.

I would say anything at 2%+ under invoice is a good deal. Around 5% under would be great, I think.

BTW I think you would be better served by getting the Tweeter Kit instead of the Speaker Kit. You can get very good Polk 6.5" round speakers installed with the spacers that phenryiv1 sells for around the same as the regular Kicker Speaker Kit. But if you want better sound than stock, you really should consider making the tweeters part of your upgrade, at least.

See this thread, I'd suggest read it all through : http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/speaker-sizes-147217/

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think I can get my dealer to match the option pricing shown on the Subaru website? I could use the leverage by taking all the options off and telling him that I can buy them cheaper from the parts counter and put them on myself. Just a thought, what do you think?

·
Registered
14 FXT Prem CVT
69 Posts
If you are already getting the car with all the options installed for almost $1300 UNDER invoice, dude, i would take that money and run!

Subaru's site just appears to list the price of an accessory but it wants you to find a car in dealer inventory... So i presume those prices are not including dealer installation costs. Anyway you are already paying much less than either advertised price, even less than invoice. I recommend not pushing your luck, just my .02.

Oh here, scroll down to the 3rd forester sticker: http://www.cars101.com/subaru_windowstickers2014.html

you can see the sticker says $192 for the luggage comp cover, but subaru site says $169.95
splash guards $147 on sticker but $109.95 on subaru site
rear bumper cover $92 on sticker vs $69.95 on the sube site.

Meh, who cares. Dealer can tell you whatever, ultimately they are making you a great offer, regardless whichever retail pricing standard is used.

Dealer might just say OK go buy all that stuff online and I will sell you the car for my invoice price. You will end up paying more plus have to do all that work yourself... hmmm no thanks!

If you are paying $1287 under total invoice for the car with all those options, the dealer is not charging you MSRP for ANYTHING. If you ask the dealer to charge you website prices for all those stuffs, you're just asking him to raise the price by something like $600. Makes no sense to do try to argue for that...

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question. I'm not very good at math so bare with me. If a invoice is $26011, what exact percentage off am I getting paying $24534?

·
Registered
2011 wrx
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok one last question. I ordered the car already but was told I can modify options for two weeks. If I decide to ad say another $1000 worth of options, that's going to increase the invoice right? Should I then ask for my sales guy to maintain the percentage off I originally got? So say in the beginning I was getting a 5% off of invoice, well if I ad options and increase the invoice well I wouldn't be getting such a good deal as I originally had right? So should I at least ask for them to maintain the percentage off I originally had?

·
Registered
14 FXT Prem CVT
69 Posts
Question. I'm not very good at math so bare with me. If a invoice is $26011, what exact percentage off am I getting paying $24534?
(26011 - 24534) / 26011 = 4.94% under invoice

I don't know how you got such a cheap price or why the dealer came down so much.

I would say yes, tell him that if you can get the same 4.94% below invoice on other options, you will spend more money with them.

Plan out what else you want, price the new options out via autoguide or carconnection listed invoice $$, then multiply the total by .9506 and ask him to add that cost to the total price before TTL

http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/2014/subaru/forester/2-5i-premium/4dr-man-pzev/prices.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts