Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a 2009 model, may be same on SG and prior.

On the fuel tank pressure sensor there are two rubber hoses. Larger one goes to the fuel tank. The other smaller one goes opposite direction and enters the body through a hole just big enough for it to fit through. I am 90% sure this hose is just a reference air source and the end sits in that body area unconnected to anything. I say this because it is not tight, it feels loose. But service manual PDF file I downloaded from the Subaru Tech Info site when I had my 72hr subscription, refers to it as a vacuum line.

Can anyone say if this is just a loose hose for source of reference air for the pressure sensor or is it connected to a vacuum source? And if it is connected to a vacuum source, how do you gain access to where it connects to ensure it is securely connected? (looks to be an enclosed body cavity space that it goes into, no way to see that the end of the hose is connected to anything).

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Oddly, I can't find any reference to that item in my CD copy. Are you sure it's a sensor- an electrical component- and not just some kinda air bleed valve?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oddly, I can't find any reference to that item in my CD copy. Are you sure it's a sensor- an electrical component- and not just some kinda air bleed valve?
Attached is the only entry in the downloadable modules off Subaru tech Info site. Actually,I was wrong they don't even mention the smaller hose as a vacuum line or at all. Its not labeled, the only hose they label is the fuel tank pressure hose as "B". They refer to removing the sensor but do not mention disconnecting the smaller hose, it is the one in the sketch that curves off towards the right, and shows in sketch C "Inspection" still attached after removal of the sensor. So I guess it must just be for reference air pressure so the sensor knows the pressure differential between in-tank and outside air pressure (?...)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Probably a reference, yes. Stuffed into a void for protection, or perhaps a wee filter fitted to the end.

Either way, it's not shown on my (general market) CD, nor in Opposed Forces. I'll guess then it's unique to the US ULEV versions...

·
Registered
2007 Outback 4AT
111 Posts
Does your pdf FSM include a volume entitled Mechanism and Function?

I looked in my 07 OB manual and came up empty. However, in the M&F section, Engine, Evaporative Emission Control System, there's a slightly different pic of the sensor with two hose connectors. One hose goes to the fuel tank and the other goes to the fuel tank sensor control valve.

The M&F volume sometimes differs from what is actually in place, and of course, this is for my OB, so it might not be the same for the Forester. But perhaps it's a lead.

Attachments

·
Registered
Alot Impreza,WRX,STi,Legy 6spd,5spd,6spd,auto
7 Posts
Anyone ever resolve this? I'm going through my gas tank right now because I cannot fill gas up easily.

I've found that my gas tank has the sensor referenced in that picture that's on the top but not the bottom one. It has a small vacuum hose that I need to figure out where it goes. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've been searching the net for a few weeks now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts