Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm going to change ATF in AT but not sure about fluid. There is a "dexron II" mark on the probe. Some catalogs recommends to use dexron III (castrol AMX) and some - dexron II (shell donax TA).

I know, that there is possibility to use dexron III instead of dexron II, but also there are rumors, that sometimes AT (especially with big mileage) works with jerks on dexron III.

From other hand, I'm afraid to **** AT with dexron II, if it is intend for dexron III.

So, what AT fluid to use?

;)

Thanks

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,249 Posts
Our 98 can use either Dexron II or III too. We use Dexron III without any problems.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I've been using Pennzoils Dexron 3 for 101,000 miles in my Forester 4EAT and runs as new. ALL Dex fluids are back ????word??? so you can use dex 3 for dex 2 even when dex 3 was not marketed for older vehicles.

·
admin
7,249 Posts
Rx said:
............. what's the fill and drain capacity?
It may vary from 3.5 to 4.5 qts.. I get more out of the 98, usually 4.25 qts.. While the 04 XT is usually 3.75 qts..

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My 2000 Forester 4EAT when parked LEVEL will get 4.0-4.2 quarts into the drain pan every time. I measured the volume several times. The "total" refil AFTER a rebuild is 9.8-10.1 quarts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
SuperRü

OK, it looks fine to use DIII.

Three more questions, please :)

1. Is your Forester '98 AT model 340 (without external oil filter) or model 390 (with external oil filter)?

2. What is wrote on the dipstick on Forester '98?

3. And on '04?

I need this information to build some statistic and I have no other way to check North American models :)

Thanks a lot.

·
admin
7,249 Posts
Leqequto said:
SuperRü

OK, it looks fine to use DIII.

Three more questions, please :)

1. Is your Forester '98 AT model 340 (without external oil filter) or model 390 (with external oil filter)?
There is no filter on our 98.
Leqequto said:
2. What is wrote on the dipstick on Forester '98?
ATF Dexron II
Leqequto said:
3. And on '04?
ATF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts