Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 10 Forester Premium with alloy wheels. I think I want to get snow tires but dont want to buy extra rims and sensors. I called a few Subaru dealers to see how much it would cost to dismount the Geo's and mount/balance the snows.
Some dealers said that they would have to reset the TPMS computer for an additional $50.00 on top of the mounting/ balancing of $50.00 for a total of $100.00
Some dealers said that the TPMS will reset itself after I drive on the change over to snows so the cost would only be $50.00
So, the question is,
Has anyone had their summer tires dismounted and remounted new tires and did the computer reset itself or did you have to pay the dealer to reset it.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I'd say bite the bullet and get dedicated rims without TPMS, over a couple of years they will have paid for themselves. Plus less wear and tear on your alloys. A lot of the members just put a piece of tape over the TPMS light and live without it for a few months, I'm sure there will be similar comments.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say bite the bullet and get dedicated rims without TPMS, over a couple of years they will have paid for themselves. Plus less wear and tear on your alloys. A lot of the members just put a piece of tape over the TPMS light and live without it for a few months, I'm sure there will be similar comments.
Assuming I did that, I could live with the light on for the winter. Question is, when I put the original Geo tires and rims back on in the spring, will the light go off or will I have to take it to Subaru to have it recalibrated to get the light to go off.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5i Automatic
161 Posts
I recently bought new alloy wheels and switched the TPMS from the steel wheels. The TPMS monitors reset themselves. ( I have 2009 base)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
This thread http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tpms-sensor-replacement-33939/ should give you almost all the information you need regarding the TPMS, bulk of the info starts at post #8 on down.

You can dismount the Goes and mount snows with out having to reset the TPMS. If you wanted to use the TPMS to its full potential you should keep the rims in their respective positions or have the sensor IDs re taught to the TPMS module. Even though the end user/driver only sees a Yellow light on the dash the system can tell you what tire is low on the vehicle. A special TPMS tool is needed to get this info however.

As said there is no need to get the sensors re taught to the TPMS module if you do not car about the added information you don't have immediate access to any way. In short the TPMS module may see the left rear being low when in reality it is not the right front. In the end you still only get a yellow light on the dash, which causes you to get out and check all four tires anyway while you are at it.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts