Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only slightly knowledegeable (enough to be dangerous) about auto mechanics, so forgive any blunders:

Is there any advantage to having a dealer, rather than a good independent mechanic, plug your car into the device that scans the car's systems for problems and then lists codes to identify what the problems might be? Don't they pretty much use the same types of scanners for this type of analysis?

My specific situation:a friends Legacy (don't know the year) has had airbag light on for some time. Independent mechanic did computer scan, which identified the source code as the clock spring, but it was "intermittent." Replaced clock spring, didn't solve the problem. Mechanic suggested taking car to dealer for computer scan, which turned up two possibilities: airbag computer and clock spring again. I'd think that independents nowadays have to have the ability to scan the cars as well as any dealership, since computers play such a big part in so many car systems. So what's the deal?

Thanks for shedding any light on this.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Dealers do have some tricks up their sleeves still. Even though all of their diagnostic tools have to be made available to the public that does not mean the price they set has to be reasonable. Thus the high price keeps that equipment out of the hands of smaller independents.

In Subaru's case that equipment is the Subaru Select Monitor III (SSMIII), Last time I looked at it I recall it being several thousand dollars and you only had access to updates for one year. Plus it only works on Subarus. Not a very handy tool for a independent shop unless they specialize in Subarus.

There are generic readers that are more versatile crossing manufactures costing a few hundred and will give a general description of a issue. Some of the factory OEM readers I have seen can even pin point a loose wire connection in a wire harness when doing a wiggle test.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
generic scan tools can not do everything that a OEM scan tool can and sadly it is getting worse, the gov says OEM's have to give out code to fix emission and very basic problems after that its up the OEM's to release any extra code after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts