Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Been doing some light research on the differentials in my foz and in the interest of more traction in sand and mud I'd like to find out both, what my XT has in it already and what would be a good conversion I.e. which LSDs would be a good fit for my FOZ. Any ideas or technical expertise will be greatly appreciated.

Just as a side note I'm asking because the interwebs arent very helpful on what my car came with stock. Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Forester
66 Posts
I don't have an answer but I bought an outback new and I think it was an 05. What I do clearly remember is that it had a limited slip diff in the rear. I don't know if that is the same for the Forester. I think people will comment and say installing one of these limited slips isn't worth the effort as they don't do much even when new, much less with miles on them.
I'm don't think there are any aftermarket limited slips out there.

·
Registered
10 Forester X Autotragic
205 Posts
So im pretty sure, or at least in the SG XTs got VLSD, the Viscous Coupling unit like found in the WRX of the time. In the US only the STi got other units like an AP Suretrac, Clutch type or Torsen units. The best for sand and mud would be if you could find a clutch type and rebuild it with a ton of preload in the clutch packs, by maybe get an aftermarket 1.5 or 2 way unit, but unfortunately there are no true "lockers" for the R160 or R180.

With the VLSD the unit will act open with one wheel off the ground so the in the air spin test doesn't work.

·
Registered
2001 Forester stb STI II
24 Posts
Not too sure about the SG's but finding the information for the SF was a pain. Mine, being a 4EAT had a 4.44 diff, i was assured by a lot of people that all turbo manuals also had a 4.44 so i found a donor s-turbo only to find out that it was actually a 4.11 so i had to make a good 4.44 from my old broken one and the donor. Seems like there were two versions of the manual Turbos, one with an oil cooler and one without - one ran a 4.44 and one used a drop gear and ran a 4.11 - subaru do not make it easy.

Best bet is check your transmission code and use that to search - you'll find out that way. Other wise, get it up on a lift, put some white marker on the driveshaft and then turn your wheel whilst counting the revolutions - see if it turns 3.9, 4.1, 4.4 times for a revolution

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i've been lost in the middle east for a couple months but what i've found is that i do have the 4.44's according to FSM but it still doesn't tell me anything about the rear, if its a VLSD or what type of center diff i have. and thanks Kevin, i've read quite a bit of that tread.. good stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts