Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 08 forester with a 2.5L engine. The car manual says you need 4 litres of oil for an oil change and there is no mention for extra oil if the filter is changed.

I have always done the oil changes at the dealer. When I asked why I am charged for 5 litres I was told that the engine take 4.7litres.

What is the actual quantity needed???????

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I think the amount called for is like 4.76qts so I usually put 5 qts in

this is what the manual states
Engine oil 4.2 US qt (4.0 liters, 3.5 Imp qt)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Which model Forester, X or XT? My '07 XT gets 5 US quarts of oil at an oil change with a new filter.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,392 Posts
8 oz short of 5 quarts gets you to the upper line. I usually kill 5 quarts.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
I think the amount called for is like 4.76qts so I usually put 5 qts in...this is what the manual states... Engine oil 4.2 US qt (4.0 liters, 3.5 Imp qt)
January 2009
Dear xxxx:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The correct capacity for the engine oil for the 2004 Forester XT is 5 quarts when replacing the engine oil and filter.
The 4.2 quart capacity noted in your owner's manual is for the 2004 Forester non-turbo models when just filling up the engine oil and not replacing the filter. The capacity of the non-turbo models when replacing the filter is 4.8 quarts.
We have advised our Publications Department that this information needs to be added to future Forester owner's manuals.
Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Best wishes,
John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
So, that means:
5 quarts XT when replacing filter
4.8 quarts X when replacing filter (and I just use 5)
4.2 quarts X if not replacing filter

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
The filter does not hold 0.6 qts. My new owner's manual states 4 litres with a filter change on a 09 X. The dipstick reading is somewhat irrelevant but you can struggle with its whimsey to be used as a reference - but as discussed before, it is incorrectly designed with the dip tube going under the oil level - which will cause false "low" readings - especially if you're fast IN with the dipstick. As an SUV, we may guess this pan and sump will have more wiggle room on oil capacity due to a design nod toward "all attitude" driving, thus any "overfill" may be better tolerated than that, say, in a Hyundai Accent.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
I just did an oil and filter change and used all 5 qts. The level is right at the full mark; not a peep over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts