Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brand new 2010 FXT the other day..went down to Edmonton to pick it up and driving back home to Fort Mac (5 hrs north) in -30C temperature I started to see huge amounts of smoke coming out the back and I'm like holy #$*& and in the middle of nowhere at that. I called the dealer immediately and he said the PVC valve probably froze (they were expecting a call from me) and they have a kit they will change out when i come back in. He said just cover up the intercooler and you're good to go. Good thing i had one of the paper mats they stick into new vehicles and just rested it right on the intercooler. Just as i got home the red oil pressure light flashed on and off and i went straight to Walmart poured 4 litres in....jeez. Then the rear washer had no juice coming out of it and they said the factory probably had regular washer fluid in there and not anti-freeze washer and it was probably frozen in the line...then found out there is nothing coming out of the 2 passenger speakers....Other than that the thing is rocket...put some Nokian WRG2's on it and i love it..

Has anyone ever had this valve change because of it freezing up?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Thought you were "full of it" when you said -30C (-22F), and so I looked on Google maps to see where Fort MacMurray is.....Holy Snow!!! They have roads going there??? I never saw anything that far North. I'd be really cautious with a new engine at those temps. What do you use for oil...kerosene? Living there must be really tough on engines and batteries.
No, I never heard of the freeze-up that you describe.
Excuse me for doubting you. Best of luck with the new vehicle. I just bought a 2010 FXT myself. Only a rattle in the moon roof. I doubt that you've opened that yet. Try it in July to see if it rattles.
Happy Holidays.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thought you were "full of it" when you said -30C (-22F), and so I looked on Google maps to see where Fort MacMurray is.....Holy Snow!!! They have roads going there??? I never saw anything that far North. I'd be really cautious with a new engine at those temps. What do you use for oil...kerosene? Living there must be really tough on engines and batteries.
No, I never heard of the freeze-up that you describe.
Excuse me for doubting you. Best of luck with the new vehicle. I just bought a 2010 FXT myself. Only a rattle in the moon roof. I doubt that you've opened that yet. Try it in July to see if it rattles.
Happy Holidays.......
Lol....The windchill was -52C. I actually found two posts with same problem..you think they'd just put the kit on before I drove out and they knew how far I lived...I hope there is no damage to the engine like the other posts but i think i caught it in time...I couldn't even see any oil on the dip stick..I'm using 5w30 but might have to go to 0w. The cold really plays weird things with vehicle with latches being hard to close etc. Heading back in a week to the dealer to get all this sorted out....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts