Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 6 months, my normally very dependable 2004 Forester XS has been experiencing some strange issues. It drives perfectly fine until I brake to a stop, at which time the AT Oil Temp comes on for a few seconds and the vehicle kind of sputters and chokes for those few seconds.

The light goes off and everything returns to normal when I resume driving. Sometimes, it will sputter to a stall at these stops. It doesn't restart cleanly, but does restart and, again, returns to normal when I drive. I can drive for hours on the highway with no issues at all.

Another curious thing that is new is the vehicle really struggles to start when it is cold out. I live in Canada and for 10 years it would fire right up, even in -25 C weather and no plug-in. Now, it can only be -5 C and it turns over and over, but either doesn't start or starts very roughly.

The Subaru shop has looked at these issues three times and every time they say they can't find anything. AT fluid levels are good, they "adjusted a sensor" or something etc etc. There has been no improvement. I am pretty frustrated at this point. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
752 Posts
AT Temp light: some years ago my '99 showed a "High Temp A/T" warning light when I was driving on a freeway in Montana in the winter.

I had the local Subie dealer flush the tranny and the A/T Temp warning light has never come back.

Can't speak to your driveability or starting issues. Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts