Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my way home that when I step on the brakes, all of my interior lights / dash lights dim considerably. I tried with the headlights on, parking lights on, and the fogs on and it happened every time. I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if it's an issue at all... I did just replace the battery so I doubt that's the problem.

The lights do not dim when my headlights are completely off (aka only DRLs on).

Thanks for any help :biggrin:

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Hi...sounds like a bad connection on the battery...maybe a bad ground? Maybe load test the new battery.
Good luck.

Kenny:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
What kind of battery did you just get? My car did that on the original battery right before I replaced it. I got an optima yellow top and it never does that anymore.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
What is the Amp rating of that battery? I found the cheap ones usually do that. I opted for the "premium" one from O'Reilley's and don't have that problem anymore (I think it's 900 cold cranking amps if I'm not mistaken)

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kirkland or something cheap :icon_redface:

I guess if it's not dangerous, I'll keep it till summer when I'll need a new battery for my stereo upgrades soon to come : )

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Its probably a combination of bad grounds and the battery. My lights dim whenever I do just about anything, but I still have the original battery after 6 years and 135k miles.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I've had my bat and charging system checked (checked ok) but I have headlight dimming when stepping on the brakes even though I'm running a fairly new Redtop.

No loose connections no added accessories.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
In addition to all connections, replace the fuses to the dash lights, and check the fusible links/main fuses [check a manual - I don't know where these are]. They could have become weakened over time and hence unable to sustain a high enough current.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Another thing I just remembered is that when my main fuse blew, I replaced it with a piece of wire instead of a new fuse. I gotta replace that thing with a real fuse! I'll let you know if the dimming comes back after I do.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Your brakes are worn out. Sorry, could not resist.

I will 3rd a bad alternator theory. It'll drain the battery and leave you stranded, so check it ASAP.

Stan

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
You can have the alternator tested at an autoparts store too. They should have a multimeter and they can test the output while just idling. Have them keep the multimeter attached while you hit the brakes too.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium 4EAT
104 Posts
Be sure to check where the negative battery cable bolts to the chasis- disconnect it and scrape it very clean. A little corrosion here can cause lots of problems!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Another thing I just remembered is that when my main fuse blew, I replaced it with a piece of wire instead of a new fuse. I gotta replace that thing with a real fuse! I'll let you know if the dimming comes back after I do.
:eek::huh:

This is how cars burn to the ground! Not trying to be harsh, but this is very dangerous.

Sno, you could try to add some ground wiresto see if that helps. Build a good "loop". Battery to engine to chassis to .... If the battery is too small though, nothing will help. Put a meter on battery, turn on all lights, and see how bad a voltage drop you have from static. (everything off). Any questions, PM me.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sno, you could try to add some ground wires to see if that helps. Build a good "loop". Battery to engine to chassis to .... If the battery is too small though, nothing will help. Put a meter on battery, turn on all lights, and see how bad a voltage drop you have from static. (everything off). Any questions, PM me.
I have this. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm going to Kragen early this week to buy another 4 qts of oil :icon_frown: so I'll have them check it when I go. My main concern is this: I'm going on a 3-4 hour trip (each way) this weekend and I don't want to blow up or something cuz my battery is sucking. I'll be in civilization so if I needed a jump that could happen for sure. I probably won't be able to afford aother battery this month due to the fact that I get to change my oil twice in one week :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Off topic, but why are you changing your oil twice? Did I miss another epic thread of yours?:icon_wink: As long as you see over about 12.7 volts on the meter with all lights on, you should be fine. Don't worry if it's a little low at idle, it will charge while you're moving.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There was no washer on the bolt for the oil and I didn't put one on... So long story short, my oil is leaking and I need to get a washer for the bolt which will destroy the amount of oil in the Foz. I'm doing a complete change because multiple people said not to use Mobil 1 Synthetic in the XT which is what I used. I'm going to switch to Castrol Syntec 0w-30. Side question; can I keep the oil filter I just put on or will mixing brake things? (I plan to take it off and drain it as best I can if I reuse it)

As far as voltage, I'll definitely get that checked - probably in about 30 min.. I can get by with DRL's or parking lights on at night instead of my usual headlights w/ fogs lighting so hopefully there won't be a huge problem :lol:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Use your headlights, please? Oils will mix just fine. Don't worry about the filter for now. Just be VERY faithful about 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Use your headlights, please? Oils will mix just fine. Don't worry about the filter for now. Just be VERY faithful about 3000 miles.
Okay... I actually just realized that I won't be driving at night anyways so I guess that was redundant :lol:

Is it really that important about the 3k miles? I overshot it this time by about 500 but I wasn't planning on doing that ever again. Oops

1 - 20 of 28 Posts