Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

Registered
@8lackie in my opinion, a "true" dual exhaust with ELH - equal length headers will add to the engine performance.
A true dual exhaust has dual runs all the way back to the engine. :wink:

As to non-true dual exhaust. It's an appearance thing & I'm going to guess the additional muffler will do a pretty good job of reducing the exhaust sound level. :confused:

More poop here: Single Exhaust VS. Dual Exhaust

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
What I like about Bobby's posts, is they're diplomatic. He suggests I go to hell, and I look forward to going there. No snark, no axes to grind. Thanks Bobby! Very much appreciated.
P.S. and now I know I should be looking at Mann Engineering for a good dual exhaust.

Premium Member
My Mother-in-law's 2017 2.5i has a single exhaust. The 2.5 Limited that year had the fancy dual exhaust. They both have the same sound and power rating (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

The dual exhaust "look" is purely for good looks. And it works. When I got my 17 XT my inlaws asked if it had a V6, "because it has those souped up exhaust pipes". As someone noted, back in the day dual tail pipes meant dual exhaust, which often meant more power under the hood. Auntie's 69 Chevelle wagon had a single 2.25" pipe, while Uncle's 69 SS had dual 2.5"s. The dual look still implies power, or "more".

There's no reason for panty bunching here. I feel single exhaust looks (and often works) better on performance applications. It of course may be louder though, with a larger single pipe and muffler. But that is not what's being talked about here. 8lackie's talking about an otherwise stock 2.5NA Forester, right? No power to be gained by putting on a Subaru pseudo-dual setup, and no noticeable sound difference since the sound waves of the 2 banks are already merged.

But if you like the look, go for it! God bless America!

I prefer single-

Attachments

Premium Member
Thanks Beluga. It must be SH's with the dual tips I'm thinking of. When I was shopping in 2016 the dealer showed me several "up-level" models with dual exhausts (Limited I believe), but they were likey SH's. SJ's were just coming onto the lots.

Registered
Purely for LOOKS in this case. Waste of materials, I like the single exhaust on my 2015, 2010 was a better car, but it had functional dual exhaust just for looks.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts