Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '14 2.5L Touring Forester has a single exhaust. I noticed that the '13s, regardless of trim have dual exhaust. What is the purpose of a dual exhaust and why would it have been removed for the '14 model year?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here is the best quote from that link:

"Don't be fooled, though, as some dual exhaust systems are actually single exhaust, as a few manufacturers use just one manifold and split the exhaust pipe after the muffler. From behind the car you see two tailpipes, but if you follow them forward, you'll find just one pipe and one manifold. There is no horsepower advantage to a system like this."

THAT describes the Forester's dual system. It's more expensive than a single exhaust, and adds no power. So, it was apparently determined to be esthetically pleasing, perhaps using cues from the "balanced" handling marketing ideas, and, someone finally decided it wasn't worth it to put this faux-dual system on any more.

·
admin
6,625 Posts
It was a marketing decision. The competition is doing it too. The engineers are probably slowly shaking their heads.

·
Registered
228 Posts
it's basically there to be one of the aesthetic differences in trims. Wimpy base model with single exhaust vs turbo version with dual.

·
Lifer
526 Posts
Fake dual exhaust

it's basically there to be one of the aesthetic differences in trims. Wimpy base model with single exhaust vs turbo version with dual.
The '14 turbo model has the fake dual exhaust also. It just makes the Forester weigh more and IMO provides no value.

Maybe for the '15, Subaru will provide 6-inch diameter chrome exhaust tips, four of them, or hook up the audio system to the engine speed and provide a deep V8 rumble with a switch to output the torn canvas sound of an un-muffled superbike at 14,000 RPM.

:icon_wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. All things consdiered, I guess I'm glad they went back to the single exhaust.

·
Lifer
526 Posts
Aesthetics

Me too....Till it comes time to replace it. :icon_eek:
The aesthetics are important. To reduce cost, weight, and replacement expense, how about if Subaru sold the cars with the chrome tips on both sides, but only one side connected to a resonator and the balance of the exhaust system?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

"Don't be fooled, though, as some dual exhaust systems are actually single exhaust, as a few manufacturers use just one manifold and split the exhaust pipe after the muffler. From behind the car you see two tailpipes, but if you follow them forward, you'll find just one pipe and one manifold. There is no horsepower advantage to a system like this."

THAT describes the Forester's dual system. It's more expensive than a single exhaust, and adds no power. So, it was apparently determined to be esthetically pleasing, perhaps using cues from the "balanced" handling marketing ideas, and, someone finally decided it wasn't worth it to put this faux-dual system on any more.
The Forester's dual exhaust is a fake??? How sad. If an engine has 5 or less cylinders or an I6, it should be single exhaust. A vehicle with a V6 or has 8 or more cylinders, it should be a 'true' dual exhaust with an 'X' pipe. Anything turbo should have 1. But should a manufacturer put a dual exhaust on, it should at least be functional and not a fake. /End rant.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Not true for my 2012, there is a Y split before the two mufflers. Though I do prefer the single exhaust of the 2014.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
There is other reasoning besides cosmetics behind dual exhausts.

Dual exhausts having two mufflers permit higher gas flow while at the same time have lower exhaust sound level.

Symmetry is, obviously, the "cosmetic" component of the design. Humans... and living things in general are symmetrical things where symmetry is a defining component of beauty. It only follows we define our cars similarly.

Also consider the fact that the entire rest of a car is symmetrical. A single exhaust, therefore, stands out as a major "wart" in an otherwise harmonious visual package. There is more than one reason the grapefruit-shooting fart can is ugly besides its sound.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
34 Participants
Natedog
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing