Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that one of my 08's fog lights has a small puncture in it. It's a super tiny hole on the outside and has the effect of being larger on the inside (like when a BB goes through a piece of glass).

My question is, what can I do about it short of replacing the fog light. Do automotive/hardware stores have some kind of compound that I can use to plug it?

I googled and found some discussions on the topic, but wanted to see if anyone has any first or second hand advice/experience.

·
Registered
2009 Forester, auto
57 Posts
If the glass just has a hole in it and the light is dry inside, just plug the hole with clear RTV. I've done this on fog and main lights. Just clean the glass before putting the RTV on and use as little as possible.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I think he means this.........Permatex Clear RTV Silicone.

General-purpose, clear RTV indoor/outdoor sealant. Seals, bonds, repairs, mends and secures glass, metal, plastics, fabric, vinyl, weather stripping and vinyl tops. Protects and repairs electrical wiring. May be applied to horizontal or vertical surfaces. Waterproof and flexible. Temperature range -75°F to 400°F (-59°C to 204°C); resists oil, water, weather, vibration, grease. Suggested Applications: Windshields, door frames, electrical connections, vinyl tops, seams and roofs.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he means this.........Permatex Clear RTV Silicone.
Thanks. I'll go pick some up on my way home today... I assume Home Depot.

Stan - Probably a good idea but a little too late to get before a road trip next weekend and I still want to patch the glass. I also hope that the choice of "clear" really means clear, and now yellow as it is pictured.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
For the trip I'd just use duct tape, then order the clear protectors. It's cheap enough and will probably not distort the light as badly as sealants.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Thanks. I'll go pick some up on my way home today... I assume Home Depot.

Stan - Probably a good idea but a little too late to get before a road trip next weekend and I still want to patch the glass. I also hope that the choice of "clear" really means clear, and now yellow as it is pictured.
It may start out cloudy and dries clear.....if you are talking about the permatex, not sure though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts