Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "new to me" TD04 I put has a leaky gasket around the oil return line.

The shop wants to charge me $250 in labor to replace the $1.30 gasket. (2.5 hrs to pull turbo, replace gasket, and put back together).

My question is, can someone pull this out w/o a jack in their driveway? I usually do a lot of DIY mods myself, so i'm handy w/ the wrench. I'm just trying to see if I can knock this out tomorrow before I goto Tahoe for the weekend... or, should I just bend over and have the shop bang it out real quick.

The second part of my question, which is kind of out there is.

I have a deal setup to get a VF39 and STi TMIC next week. I don't have the $$$ for the AP + Tune at the moment though.

Should I hold off w/ the leaky gasket until I'm ready for the full swap + tune?

Any advice is appreciated. Just kind of looking for a push in a direction.

:woohoo:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Wish I'd known this sooner... my husband was just down in SJ today and I'm sure he would've given you a hand.

Is it leaking a lot of oil right now? It's not terribly hard to pull the turbo in your driveway if you have jackstands or ramps. I swapped my first TD04 in our driveway in one afternoon.

I can post the service manual excerpts, if you'd like.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I'd known this sooner... my husband was just down in SJ today and I'm sure he would've given you a hand.

Is it leaking a lot of oil right now? It's not terribly hard to pull the turbo in your driveway if you have jackstands or ramps. I swapped my first TD04 in our driveway in one afternoon.

I can post the service manual excerpts, if you'd like.
It's leaking enough to leave a 6" dark circle on bad days. I'm keeping my eye on the engine oil level to make sure and not run dry.

If you wouldn't mind sending me over the service manual excerpts i'll check it out and make the decision.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt/autovf39
178 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. But I blown the turbo out. I ended up doing it myself. It is easy I still didn't do my spark plugs because that looks harder then the turbo.

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
Here ya go... you'll need to take the TMIC off to get to the turbo, so I included that portion too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
working on the turbo is fairly easy, and 2.5 hrs of labor is a solid quote. I know it takes me about that long and I know my way around these cars...

If you are mechanically inclined but don't know these cars, bank on 4-6 hrs of labor.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is it referring to as the "Center Exhaust Pipe". Is that the down-pipe?

When you did the swap, were you able to do it without draining all of the fluids? Did you pinch off the hoses?

·
Registered
2004 forester xt/autovf39
178 Posts
I replaced the fluids because it was time too. but you can just pinch it and add some anti freeze to top it off.

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
^^ what he said...

By center exhaust pipe they mean the downpipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts