Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since installing my new wheels 2004 STI BBS goldies. I have noticed an occasional slight pull to the left, its corrected by turning the steering wheel to the right a quarter turn. I have also noticed increased road noise from the tires. I still have my stock geosqueelers.

Could it have anything to do with the offset of the new wheels? Going from 48 to 53?

Road bumps etc. are also more pronounced.

I have nearly 30K miles on my XT and this was only the 2nd time my tires have been rotated also.

Any help would be most appreciated.

PS my wife thinks I have OCD.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you had an alignment recently? if not, get it looked @... also you are running the geosquealers right?
No alignment yet. I have an appointment at the subaru dealership for the 30K service and the alignment and tire/balance rotate is included in the epic 595 plus tax!

Yes I still have the geosquealers.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
my guess is the combination of the wider wheel, offset change, and reusing the stock tires on wider wheels.

in my opinion if you have plans in the not too distant future for new tires, springs, plus whatever else, i would just wait until you install all of that before spending the money on a good alignment.

i mean you have no plans to keep the geo's afterward right? so who cares if they wear a little faster for the time being. just use it as motivation to get your new setup in the works :)

EDIT: i was in the middle of typing my post when you just posted. $595? i would just buy the supplies and do the 30K yourself! you'll save a few hundred easy, depending on what fluids you buy. besides even if they align it at the dealer, when you install new tires and springs, plus whatever else, you'll need a new alignment anyways.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking on here for some kind of 30K service walk through. I am a total noob when it comes to mechanics.

I cant really afford new tires and springs at this time. Still waiting to file my taxes.:shrug:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
if you never have had your car aligned, its def that! get it done asap! you should have your car aligned every year or whenever you change suspension parts. if you cant wait and do your mods, so you dont have to do it 2x's.

lots of things can cause an alignment to go outta wack, ie; potholes!

i really dont think the offset is much different than the stock wheels, and they are only .5" wider. my vote is still the alignment is outta wack!

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you never have had your car aligned, its def that! get it done asap! you should have your car aligned every year or whenever you change suspension parts. if you cant wait and do your mods, so you dont have to do it 2x's.

lots of things can cause an alignment to go outta wack, ie; potholes!

i really dont think the offset is much different than the stock wheels, and they are only .5" wider. my vote is still the alignment is outta wack!

Would they need to align it to factory specs or does it change with the different offset?

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed Firestone does the Lifetime alignment. Or is it better to go to the Subaru dealership. My dealership is more of a Volkswagen dealership than a Subaru unfortunately.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Needing an alignment is one of the biggest misconceptions of the auto industry.

Vehicles do not require alignments as often as everyone suggests and as often as a tire shop will claim you need one.

It's amazing how much tires will cause pull. To test if it's the tires, swap them left to right and see if the pull swaps directions or levels out.

So let me get this straight, you had swapped wheels, but had the same tires transferred over?

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Needing an alignment is one of the biggest misconceptions of the auto industry.

Vehicles do not require alignments as often as everyone suggests and as often as a tire shop will claim you need one.

It's amazing how much tires will cause pull. To test if it's the tires, swap them left to right and see if the pull swaps directions or levels out.

So let me get this straight, you had swapped wheels, but had the same tires transferred over?

Funny you should say that. My boss at work says it looks like the tire that is pulling to one side has more tread than the one on the right. So we are going to swap the right front tire for the right rear tire because it has more tread.

Yes they are the same tires. I didnt have the problem prior to swapping wheels. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2008 XT Limited 4EAT
414 Posts
I agree in testing the tires first. Our Honda Fit was pulling like crazy and I went in for an alignment. Everything was within factory spec. The tread looked good, but the alignment guy did notice a flat spot or two. The car and tires were bought used so I didn't know the history of the tires. Changed the tires now everything's golden.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Different wheels or tires have absolutely no effect on the alignment, it is just the geometry of the different suspension components.

Also most dealers/alignment/tire shops won't do a very good job of an alignment as they only put it "within spec", but the specs are pretty wide.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was the tires after all. They swapped the fronts from left to right and its almost all the way gone now!

Time to start looking for some new tires! At Big 10 tire they had the BFG Sports for 119 a piece in the 225/50/17's. I want to eventually go for that size after I install swifts.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Tires can affect alignment. Both new and old. Wider wheels and tires, as well as lower profile tires can change required toe in or out to make an alignment right. Also wider tires have a similar effect to positive caster, and thinner to negative caster.
Old tires can cause major pulls if they are worn or damaged or if the weave in them has "memory steer" from being pulled one way harder and longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts