Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying with the idea of not re-registering my miata and pull it from track day to track day on a dolly behind the forester. It weighs 2000 or less, I know the forester should beable to do but have my doubts. Need some other opinions.
-Mitch

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Would help to know what year, model and transmission your Forester is. (most people put this info in their signature line so we don't have to ask :))

Also, how far is the track?

Can you give us a better estimation of the weight of the miata and tow dolly combined?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill be sure to add that it. Its a 98' L with a 5mt. The track is about 100 miles away. Its alot of freeway driving and back roads to get to. Not much city. Id have to get a weight on the dolly.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
According to cars101.com (which has tons of Subaru info.....in a very unorganized sort of way), the 1998 models has a towing capacity of 2000 lbs. You could do it, but you'll be pushing it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
It really depends on how your set up to tow and how you feel about your Foz's strength. I'd be ok to try it a few times, to get the feel. But if your dolly drags the rear of the Forester and seems to bog the car down, then I'd go against it. Plus, it might be cheaper to drive the Miata there, registered and all, than the extra wear you would possibly incur from towing. If your all set up with hitch, dolly and good suspension, I'd give it a few tries. So far I've had good success towing both a 8X10 box trailer and my '85 Starcraft ton of bricks! These were both with good tong weight, less than 200, and increased rear tire pressure, manual recommended 41 psi.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
The North American ratings are so much lower than the rest of the world. Methinks its a results of lawsuits in America and SOA not wanting to deal with them.

I know of one person in Australia who regularly towed his EVO track car behind his XT. Did it all the time and said it was never an issue.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. I may just hook it up and drive around here locally to get a feel and see how it works. If I have doubts ill go against it.
Sounds good, you'll get a great feel for the driving characteristics of your Foz under load, as well as a car under load if your not used to that.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
The tow rate on cars in the US ir really low. I mean the tow rate for the SF over here with a 2.0L engine is rated to 1500kg for the na and 1800kg for the s-turbo.
You have merly 900kg. Wonder why that is..... :shrug:

All this is for trailers with brakes ofc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts