Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently purchased an '07 Forester with 37,000 kms on it. I just noticed that when I start it cold, it blows a small cloud of blue at startup. This would be a sign of wearing valve seals in any engine I am familiar with, but this is my first boxer, so I do not know if this is normal or not. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Possibly intake valve seals. The other option is with the boxer layout oil can pool in the cylinder and seep past the piston rings.

My 1st recommendation is to try switching up oil brands. For Synthetics Shell Rotella T 5w40 and German Castrol(GC).

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Hi guys,
I recently purchased an '07 Forester with 37,000 kms on it. I just noticed that when I start it cold, it blows a small cloud of blue at startup. This would be a sign of wearing valve seals in any engine I am familiar with, but this is my first boxer, so I do not know if this is normal or not. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks
Interesting post, and I do not speak as an expert on this engine, more an interested observer.

I've had the Chevy 305 with leaking valve stem seals, but also figured how does that work with a boxer flat 4?

I've had a recent issue with the air pump (smog pump) and valves, that looked like the symptoms you describe, but were principally water vapor.

Are you getting and CEL on the dashboard?

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Does it smoke after being parked on an angle? The old BMW flat twin motorcycles used to smoke if you used the side kick stand. If you used the center stand the motor was level and wouldn't smoke when you started it. Maybe the same with the Subaru flat motor?

·
Registered
2007 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard a lot about that rotella synthetic, I have been meaning to switch, but I think if it is leaking past the seals, the extra lubricating properties of synthetic could make it worse. No, my CEG has not come on & the car has been parked in my level carport. The car still has plenty of warranty, but running into something like this so soon kinda irks me. I love everything about the car as far as ride, versatility, but it was hard to switch from my previous Honda which I ran up to 300+ kms , and all I ever did was routine mtnce and brakes. Hopefully this won't became a big issue as I am not a fan of our local Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Low mileage engine , maybe used for short runs before you got it. Wait Until you do an oil change with a known oil you trust and see what the result is. Agree with your comments about a thin synthetic but dont think it will do much harm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts