Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I drove 20 miles home from work in my 14' FXT. I went outside (about 30 min) to install lights on my car when I noticed a very small puddle on the ground underneath my car. I inspected to see where it was dripping from and it looks like it was dripping from the passenger's side control arm.

I opened my engine bay to see where it was coming from and I could not locate it. The puddle on the ground is clear and not slippery (looks like water).

I'll have to take a better look tomorrow.

Where could this be possibly dripping from? What could be leaking?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Is it a puddle from you recently driving with the air conditioner on?

Air conditioners drip the water from the condenser onto the ground under the engine. Very well could be positioned closer to the passenger side.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Is the puddle under the rear part of the front wheel well? If so, it's just condensation from the A/C drain tube.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
^^Wow, all three of us posted at the same time! :lol:

·
Registered
2001 Subaru
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol wow, I thought I'd have to check back tomorrow for replies!

The A/C wasn't on (it's been cold here in the Bay Area). The drip is coming from the control rod/arm on the passenger's side. The drip is within a full arm's length. Also I caught a droplet in my hand and it was cold (I was willing to sacrifice my hand by possibly catching a burning hot droplet).

Thanks again for the replies.

G

·
Was the defrost on? If the defrost is on IIRC in a certain blower position, it will turn on the air conditioning compressor too.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Was the defrost on? If the defrost is on IIRC in a certain blower position, it will turn on the air conditioning compressor too.
On my ford ranger, anything other than just feet or just face blower would run the AC compressor.

I assume it is the same here, where if you have it on foot and face vents it is likely running the compressor as well.

Just because AC wasn't on does not mean the AC compressor was not running.

G

·
IIRC they do this because the refrigerant keeps the seals in the system conditioned and the compressor oiled as well. If the AC compressor isn't ever used, the seals dry up and will leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts