Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I figured I'd start my member journal now that I have my car back from the shop.

Purchased on 12/26/09 with moderate modifications and serious center differential issues, which is no coincidence.

As-purchased mods:
-APS S/R 30 turbo
-Big Perrin TMIC
-Perrin Recirc BOV
-performance header
-Cobb TBE
-Snow Methanol injection
-Turbosmart e-Boost control
-Cobb AP v1
-Cobb rear sway bar
-Some other misc. items consistent with this state of tune - injectors, etc.
-In addition, I'm finding new things all the time (the original owner passed away, I purchased the car from his son, who didn't know what was really done to the car, so it's been a hide-and-seek operation with mods).

Made the earliest possible appointment at MSPT in Huntington and dropped it off 1/6/10 to have the drivetrain issues addressed and to have the car tuned for straight pump gas (courtesy of a new Cobb AP v2) rather than the pump gas with methanol injection tune I purchased it with.

Picked up the car on 1/21/10 and drove it for the very first time.

Installed my kartboy short shifter the same night as well as my knuckleball shift knob. The short shifter is for a 97-01 RS and lowers the shift height and throw significantly. The knuckleball brings it down even further, too.

Installed my JDM STi hood scoop (purchased pre-painted from J-spec tuning) on 1/24/10.

I have waiting the following:
-Swift Sports (Done)
-KYB GR2s (Done)
-Pre-painted rear spoiler (Done)
-Subtle solutions ashtray blank*
-Kartboy shifter bushings (Done)
-Dash compartment / clock (purchased from Stealthy-Scooby)*

* The original owner has the e-Boost controller / gauge mounted on the existing dash compartment /clock lid, but it looks pretty rough. My plan is to relocate the controller / gauge in the ashtray location, where the knock sensor light currently is.

Anyway, I'll post pics after the various installs and keep anyone who's interested updated.

I'm appreciative of the vast information I've been able to obtain from SF.org so far and I look forward to learning more in the future.

I realized I hadn't updated this in a while. Since my last update, I installed my Swifts / KYBs, my rear spoiler, and some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Anyway, here are some updated pics. I can't wait to take pictures when the sun is out - every time I snap pictures it looks like the apocalypse is approaching.

Before spoiler

After spoiler

Current profile

New mods waiting for install:
-OEM gauge pack housing*
-OZ 17"x7" wheels

*I'd like to find the OEM XT performance gauge pack for cheap, but I haven't had any luck.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,883 Posts
Nice start on your Member Journal! :cool: I really wanted an '04 XT, but after looking way too long, I found an '07 FSXT last year (July/09). :smile:

How about a picture of the previous owners dash MOD? :wink: MODding the dash top cubby is a piece a cake on the '03-'06. I did this on my '03X, now my son's Forester. On my '07 I did this & it was a PIA with the passenger airbag monitor & the redesigned clock. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Leaving the meth kit on, but non-functional until I get used to the car. I'm going to get it dyno-tuned for the meth in the spring.

After researching it more, I'm less nervous about it, but I still have concerns about the necessary fail-safes, especially given the fact that I didn't install it or actually know who did.

I forgot to mention that the original owner had an exedy stage 1 clutch in for a day, but uninstalled it when his wife complained she couldn't drive the car with it in. So I had Dave at MSPT put it in while he had the tranny dropped.

As a result, I've been trying to keep the car under boost, or at least at minimal boost, while I break the clutch in. Even while driving the car pretty passively, it's clear that the FXT is a beast.

I'm enjoying every minute of my commute these days.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll post before and after pictures of all the installs, but I'll try to get one up of the gauge mount sooner than later. As I mentioned, it's pretty rough, looks like something you'd find in a straight muscle car than in a daily driver. The gauge mount is just bolted into the OEM dash compartment lid and the wires come through two holes drilled further back.

I purchased the new lid / clock from Stealthy-scooby, so I hope to remove the gauge and relocate it to the ashtray and then have the dash back to stock. I'm not adverse to doing a whole gauge pack where that compartment is now (I actually love how it looks), but in the interim I'd like to get the "look-at-me-law-enforcement-personnel!" gauge out of plain sight.

Nice start on your Member Journal! :cool: I really wanted an '04 XT, but after looking way too long, I found an '07 FSXT last year (July/09). :smile:

How about a picture of the previous owners dash MOD? :wink: MODding the dash top cubby is a piece a cake on the '03-'06. I did this on my '03X, now my son's Forester. On my '07 I did this & it was a PIA with the passenger airbag monitor & the redesigned clock. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Super Moderator
35,883 Posts
Thanks. I'll post before and after pictures of all the installs, but I'll try to get one up of the gauge mount sooner than later. As I mentioned, it's pretty rough, looks like something you'd find in a straight muscle car than in a daily driver. The gauge mount is just bolted into the OEM dash compartment lid and the wires come through two holes drilled further back.

I purchased the new lid / clock from Stealthy-scooby, so I hope to remove the gauge and relocate it to the ashtray and then have the dash back to stock. I'm not adverse to doing a whole gauge pack where that compartment is now (I actually love how it looks), but in the interim I'd like to get the "look-at-me-law-enforcement-personnel!" gauge out of plain sight.
I was just curious how the previous owner's MOD looked. As we progress in our MODding skills, it's kinda nice to look back at previous projects. Here's my first attempt on the '03X Gauge POD v1.:smile:

As to the gauges being visible on the dashtop gauge POD. If your windows are tinted, they're not that visible from the outside of the vehicle. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at your fabrication and let me tell you that your gauge mods are worlds above this one. It's not going to be light out when I get to my car, but I'll try to snap a picture anyway. I'm talking two 3/8" bolts down through the compartment lid holding a generic gauge cup on. There was little effort towards refinement.

I was thoroughly impressed with the way your setup turned out. Creative thinking to get the clock and whatnot back in and looking like it belonged.

·
Super Moderator
35,883 Posts
^^ Thanks for the compliment! :smile:

I have to admit I liked how the '03 Gauge POD v2 turned out much better, compared to the '07 Gauge POD v3. On the '07 gauge POD, it was a PIA to get the clock/airbad monitor to fit... still not sure if I'll redo it... perhaps when I run out of MODs! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts