Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening .

Now I don't know much about anything but I do know that brake discs are supposed to outlast the pads I also know some pads are harder on discs than others.
These are the godspeed discs that are on my car at the moment and im looking to get shot of them asap, these are insidious as the problem has occurred on the back of the disc where it is shielded by the dust cover and cannot be seen .
The brakes have been noisy / grinding for a few weeks so I decided to take the apart and have a look bearing in mind there is no visual problem when attached to the hub.

this is what I found , they are a little over 2 years old and the car has never been driven very hard.
So now im looking for a proper big brake conversion such as AP or Pro Alcon . I have tried AS performance and Sumo but my question is there anyone else I should be looking to buy from.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
284 Posts
They are shocking. In all my years mucking around cars and bikes, I have never seen anything like that. I wonder if they were manufactured in china or india? Their manufacturing metallurgy can be pretty poor.

I have always been a big fan of Brembo discs on bikes and cars, as they always had quality materials. Hopefully still do.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
Blimey, I thought those Godspeeds were normally decent quality.
What was the outer edge like? Could a small rock have got stuck in there at some point?
Are these the discs with the J hook grooves on? Seems like a pattern in some of the makings.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,089 Posts
I had problems with Godspeed discs too.

He just buys in cheap discs (Can't remember the name off the top of my head) and puts them on a CNC machine - sometimes he paints the centre bits which peels off when you remove the wheels the first time too.

I run Brembo Sport Discs with grooves now and just can't fault them

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@TMX this also happened to me early on the rear disc started going rusty so I repainted the centre about a year and half ago.
this photo was taken yesterday ……. my paint hasn't fallen off .

Attachments

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,978 Posts
Within 6 months of fitting my SF5 with godspeed J hooks the same thing happened; de-laminated and they warped like a mofo. However the SS pistons they did were sweet as a nut.

·
Administrator
17,343 Posts
I've never seen a disc get that sort of damage before either @lockheed - very poor!

I've been a fan of DBA slotted rotors for many years as they disperse heat and thereby reduce brake fade for off-roading, especially on long steep descents. Stopping grip is also increased considerably over OEM.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@TheRealMrRow . YIKES these brakes look mega just been on their web page however I did notice there were no prices just like lateral performance this means they are probably out of reach for me at the moment .

I did get a quote back from Alyn @AS Performance for the AP kit and the Pro Alcon , of course I phoned him straight back after receiving the electronic mail with credit card in hand.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,584 Posts
@TheRealMrRow . YIKES these brakes look mega just been on their web page however I did notice there were no prices just like lateral performance this means they are probably out of reach for me at the moment .

I did get a quote back from Alyn @AS Performance for the AP kit and the Pro Alcon , of course I phoned him straight back after receiving the electronic mail with credit card in hand.
Nice one, which ones did you go for in the end?
Looking forward to seeing these fitted and hearing your feedback :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for your interest @fpan and everyone else .
I have decided to go for the Pro Alcon AS performance custom kit , of course Alyn is waiting for stock but the calliper is a 6pot mono block and the disc is a 2piece PFC item and ive told Alyn what I do with the car so im gonna let him surprise me with the pads ( im sure he thinks im slightly mad because I told him its for a fsti not a 500hp impreza )
I was hoping to have these fitted for the Pro Drive weekend but it looks unlikely at the moment . I also want to replace the rear discs with PFC single piece discs and the dust covers as they are looking tatty but they are not available from ICP at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Not much of an update but I noticed advanced automotive had good deal on AP 6 pot callipers and discs , pads etc £2300 so decided not to wait for Alyn .
So I phone them and they have only got the kit in stock ! after a bit of toing and froing with vin numbers (to make sure the kit would fit ) I got the old credit card out and had decided on red callipers , started to read the number out .
Hold on she said im just going check something with price ill ring you back in 5 mins …….ok
I said .
40 mins later she phones back and said RCM have put their prices up , I immediately accused her of false advertising . after the tongue lashing I gave her I decided to look at their web page again , she only used those 40 mins to change the prices cheeky cowbag .

Ive just arrived home and with Glee the unaltered web page was still on my laptop you have to laugh at this one .

edit: ive just been looking on line and apparently its a criminal offence in the uk to mislead people on prices .

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
309 Posts
WOW, just seen this. That's most certainly corrosion due to water damage on the surface, but as said already that shouldn't happen that fast on a good grade of metal.

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Not much of an update but I noticed advanced automotive had good deal on AP 6 pot callipers and discs , pads etc £2300 so decided not to wait for Alyn .
So I phone them and they have only got the kit in stock ! after a bit of toing and froing with vin numbers (to make sure the kit would fit ) I got the old credit card out and had decided on red callipers , started to read the number out .
Hold on she said im just going check something with price ill ring you back in 5 mins …….ok I said .
40 mins later she phones back and said RCM have put their prices up , I immediately accused her of false advertising . after the tongue lashing I gave her I decided to look at their web page again , she only used those 40 mins to change the prices cheeky cowbag .

Ive just arrived home and with Glee the unaltered web page was still on my laptop you have to laugh at this one .

edit: ive just been looking on line and apparently its a criminal offence in the uk to mislead people on prices .
Ouch. Personally I wouldn't use a trader if they resorted to such practices.

However, you are correct - as they've advertised it at that price, they are obliged to sell it to you at that price, and not a penny more, even if they've made the error themselves and realised it.

You may have heard recently of a story where a major airline (I think somewhere in the far east) who accidentally advertised some flights at 10% of the correct price, as someone had placed the decimal point in the wrong place. Nothing they could do about it, and IIRC lots of people had a jolly up in first class because of it.

At the time of writing, the AP kit is 2372gbp on RCM's own website... maybe cut out the thieving, dishonest middle man (or woman, in this case...)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good evening .

Now I don't know much about anything but I do know that brake discs are supposed to outlast the pads I also know some pads are harder on discs than others.
These are the godspeed discs that are on my car at the moment and im looking to get shot of them asap, these are insidious as the problem has occurred on the back of the disc where it is shielded by the dust cover and cannot be seen .
The brakes have been noisy / grinding for a few weeks so I decided to take the apart and have a look bearing in mind there is no visual problem when attached to the hub.

this is what I found , they are a little over 2 years old and the car has never been driven very hard.
So now im looking for a proper big brake conversion such as AP or Pro Alcon . I have tried AS performance and Sumo but my question is there anyone else I should be looking to buy from.
Rock Auto has a few brake kits for a complete brake replacement.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI 6MT
46 Posts
Personally I think spending £2400 on a complete big brake kit due to a bad experience with some cheap discs is a bit of a drastic solution?

Properly maintained, the Brembo calipers on these cars are a very capable setup, you may well find, paired with a set of quality discs (Brembo high carbon coated line for example) and pads to suit your driving with a fluid flush and some braided lines that they're really rather good. Om my previous Hawkeye STI they stood up brilliantly to multiple track days at Knockhill (a very hard track on brakes).

But it's your money...!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts