Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

I am trying to match as close as possible the wheels on my new 2010 forester 2.5 P for a full size spare. I do not care about the spoke style, but am looking for an inexpensive spare that I could use for several hundred miles in the event of a flat.

The more I research, the more variables I seem to turn up when it comes to wheel size. I wish there was just some simple way to find out:

"What are the specs for the stock 17" wheels on a 2010 Forester?"

Anyway, here is what I am quite sure I want:

17x7
+48 offset
225/55/R17 tire

What I need to know now is the backspacing. I've been looking on Tirerack and the backspacing seems to be all over the board. I suppose I could remove a wheel and measure the backspacing, but was trying to avoid that.

Any suggestions welcome!

rbecker
2010 2.5 P

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
What do you mean by backspacing? Offset? Stock offset is +48 for all Foresters.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
[quote from fourwheeler.com] "Backspacing is the distance from the inside bolting surface of the rim to the outer edge of the inboard side of the rim. Offset is the distance from the exact center of the rim to the outer edges of the rim."

I ask because Tirerack.com gives backspacing in the specs. However, after making my original post, I noticed that the backspacing did not vary as much as I thought. For 17x7 x +48 offset, the two variations I have found so far for backspace are 5.90 and 5.94. I don't even think I could measure to 6 hundreths accuracy.

Anyway, I see these three at Tirerack:

ASA AR1

Kosei RT Sport

Sport Tuning Gunner

(tried to link to them, but no luck)

Any suggestions or insights welcome!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
I am trying to match as close as possible the wheels on my new 2010 forester 2.5 P for a full size spare. I do not care about the spoke style, but am looking for an inexpensive spare that I could use for several hundred miles in the event of a flat.
I purchased a 16" tire and plain steel wheel as a low-cost full-size spare for my '09 Forester. It's a very close match (772 revs/mile per Tire Rack) to the stock 17" OEM road tires & wheels (775 revs/mile). The steel wheel has a 50mm offset. The combo was mounted, balanced, and shipped to my house for $130 + ~$20 shipping.

The Dunlop SP 60 all-season tire in size P215/65R16 98S (600 A B) is well reviewed in Tire Rack's survey, is also modestly priced, and is spec'd at 776 revs/mile.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a 16" tire and plain steel wheel as a low-cost full-size spare for my '09 Forester. It's a very close match (772 revs/mile per Tire Rack) to the stock 17" OEM road tires & wheels (775 revs/mile). The steel wheel has a 50mm offset. The combo was mounted, balanced, and shipped to my house for $130 + ~$20 shipping.

The Dunlop SP 60 all-season tire in size P215/65R16 98S (600 A B) is well reviewed in Tire Rack's survey, is also modestly priced, and is spec'd at 776 revs/mile.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Wouldn't the size difference (17" vs. 16") MAKE a difference in handling etc?
Also, I'm wondering if a 17" wheel will fit in the spare well. I think I read about that somewhere in the forum but can't remember if it was 'Yea' or 'Nay'.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Wouldn't the size difference (17" vs. 16") MAKE a difference in handling etc?
Perhaps, but I doubt the full-size 16" tire and wheel would be anywhere near as squirrelly as the T155/70D17 space/weight saver donut that came in the car. And, I intend for the F/S spare to be a spare tire, and not a full-time replacement road wheel.

Also, I'm wondering if a 17" wheel will fit in the spare well. I think I read about that somewhere in the forum but can't remember if it was 'Yea' or 'Nay'.
My 16” tire and wheel fits comfortably in the spare tire well. The circular jack organizer fits inside the wheel, but the kinda-rectangular under-floor organizer/spacer no longer fits. The 17” tire and wheel is essentially the same diameter as the 16” combo and only one centimeter (~0.4”) wider, so it too will fit.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps, but I doubt the full-size 16" tire and wheel would be anywhere near as squirrelly as the T155/70D17 space/weight saver donut that came in the car. And, I intend for the F/S spare to be a spare tire, and not a full-time replacement road wheel.

My 16” tire and wheel fits comfortably in the spare tire well. The circular jack organizer fits inside the wheel, but the kinda-rectangular under-floor organizer/spacer no longer fits. The 17” tire and wheel is essentially the same diameter as the 16” combo and only one centimeter (~0.4”) wider, so it too will fit.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
You know, maybe I'm just being stupid about how I am approaching this. It occurs to me that maybe the rim size is not all that important in a spare as long as the overall wheel diameter ends up being 'X', and the width is 7" and the offset is close to +48. I had assumed that the rim sized needed to match what is currently on the car.

rbecker

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Rbecker,

I don’t think you’re being stupid. There’s a bit to learn here, and, since we’re talkin’ a safety issue, it needs to be understood and taken seriously.

Yeah, a 225/55R17 tire mounted on a 17 x 7 rim with a 5-100 bolt circle, a +48mm offset (et) and a 56 mm centerbore (cb) might be ideal for a spare for your 2010 Forester X Prem. However, the base model comes with 215/65R16 tires mounted on 16” steel wheels, so it’s possible to get a 16” tire and wheel that’s “close enough”, IMHO, especially when compared to the donut spare.

Tire Rack offers 16 x 6-1/2 5-100 et+50 cb56 steel wheels that are suitable for the ’09 and’10 forester. I have five of ‘em: one for my f/s spare, and four for my winter tire set. The 2mm difference in offset doesn’t matter in this case.

The diameter (and therefore the circumference and the number of revs/mile) of a 215/65R16 tire is generally pretty close to that of a 225/55R17 tire. It's certainly much closer than the space saver donut that came with the car is to either the 16” or 17” OEM tires. The exact specs for the two tires will vary a bit from mfr to mfr as well as by wheel width.

My research, calculations, and measurements suggest the Dunlop SP 60 in size 216/65R16 (776 revs/mile) may be as close as one can get to the OEM Yokohama Geolander 225/55R17 tires (775 revs/mile) that came on my car. I either missed this tire or it wasn’t available when I bought my 16" f/s spare, so I ended up with a Kumho.

Nov. 13 update: Some sizes of the Dunlop SP 60 are whitewalls. :huh: This may be why it didn't show up during a "vehicle based" search. However, it does pop up when searching for a 215/65R16 tire. Dunlop's website indicates the 215/65R16 is a blackwall.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts