Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
The "waiting to install" parts are starting to accumulate (and there is a sneak peak at the top of something I am re-conditioning and will install next spring)..

and something else I am working on is an intercooler/oil cooler water sprayer. I want to mount the button on the wheel so i can press it without removing my hands from the wheel. Over the controls works better for hitting it with my thumb.. but it doesn't look good there and would be harder to mount. Mounting in below is much easier and look cleaner.. but isn't as good of a fit functionally.. hmmm. BTW I am designing and 3d printing a housing for it so it will look more like a factory option and less like a tacky auto parts store bling isle impulse buy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Inter/oil cooler sprayer

Thanks to @FXTerrific for his great idea of hiding the inter/oil cooler spray reservoir behind the firewall shelf. I had no idea there was that much empty space hiding there. He mounted his on the driver side, but I couldn't seem to get it to fit and till have clearance with the wiper motor so I am mounting it on the passenger side. Here are some pics of what that looks like and and where the fill cap will be when installed. I plan on finding a large rubber grommet for the hole to help seal it up so water don't get into the cabin through the cabin filter box (the rectangular void in on the passenger side in the first pic).

Where the reservoir will be...

...and where the cap will be

I'm 3D printing a test print of the button cover today. I'll post up pics tonight of that.

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
sweet man!
sorry for the delay on your question about some pics....i was on vacation last couple days.

looks like a great spot though! i have to redo the mounting setup on mine...as couple months back something must have been rubbing on the reservoir, and ended up piercing it. how did you take that whole cowl section off? just clips and such (and the wipers)? i think if i remove that ill have an easier time this second go around.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
@FXTerrific
There are 7 clips in total. 4 of which are the plastic screw locking kind, and the other 3 are pressure fit ones that require you to squeeze the ends together and push up to get out. After that I removed the wipers and just pull it out. There is a finishing piece at each end where it meets the door frame and window. That piece will come out as well (you'll understand when you go to take it out).

When I did a test fit I ran the wipers and they ever so slightly rubbed the bottle so I didn't want to risk getting a hole. The drivers side will be a bit cooler (being further from the turbo), but since there is sheet metal separating the space from the engine bay I don't think it will get that hot in there. My plan is to mount the bottle, then drill a nickel size hole in the shelf to help locate where the filler neck is and slowly trim it back until the filler neck can pop threw. Then I will seal it in place with a rubber grommet and tighten it all down. I'm debating dipping the cap black or leaving it blue. I am planning on running the intercooler lines up into the hood and have the nozzle in the shroud. Not sure about the oil cooler lines yet as the logical place to mount the nozzle is into the bumper beam.. but I don't want to drill into that. The other option is to attach it to the bumper.. but I take the bumper off enough that I don't want to have to pull the lines off ever time I take the bumper off (which really shouldn't happen very often once I have the new rad and trans cooler mounted).

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
There is a finishing piece at each end where it meets the door frame and window. That piece will come out as well (you'll understand when you go to take it out).
i got as far as the above during my install, broke some tabs on one of those pieces...and quit messing with it, lol.

thanks man. ill poke around more.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Printed the button cover yesterday and started to sand it down to a nice finish. Still some sanding left to do.. but it's looking great so far!

I'm stoked to be picking 6 of these up tonight for an smashing deal (225/45/17). Should be good for at least 1 track season. Now I just need to find some good curb rashed (gotta save $ somehow) light weight 17s to mount them to.

41 - 60 of 909 Posts