Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

381 - 400 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I read through this whole thread, I'm curious about why nobody has added a 'mass loaded vinyl' layer?

From what I'm reading, ensolite absorbs energy only at higher frequencies, while the MLV layer will work to decouple everything. It seems like RAAMmat + MLV would be a more effective combination than RAAMmat + ensolite.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also,
I'm having a few vibration and rattle issues in the dashboard assembly. I want to take it apart and line the major plastic-plastic contact points with something. I went to the local auto parts store and asked for a "felt tape" but the guy didn't have anything.

Any suggestions? Something thin and soft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want it pretty thin, I think even 3/16" is going to prevent some parts from fitting back together properly. I found some 1mm (I think that's 1/32") felt tape on amazon, going to grab a roll.

What sort of trim tools did you guys use? I have a tool like this to pull the clips off.

Anything else you can think of before I get started?

Thanks,

·
Registered
594 Posts
How does 14+ compare with 06 in sound levels?

The Project quiet car thread is six yeas old and I am wondering how much more quiet our 14+ is than our former 06. I know its quieter but not how much. Also, every car has "special" areas that benefit more from sound insulation. Making a car more quiet has the benefit of better music sound at lower levels as well as a possible benefit of thermal insulation.

Just wondering if anyone has done any work or analysis on the 14+ in this area.

GD

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Project quiet car thread is six yeas old and I am wondering how much more quiet our 14+ is than our former 06. I know its quieter but not how much. Also, every car has "special" areas that benefit more from sound insulation. Making a car more quiet has the benefit of better music sound at lower levels as well as a possible benefit of thermal insulation.

Just wondering if anyone has done any work or analysis on the 14+ in this area.

GD
I have a '15 and it had a little sound deadening stuff in the doors. The inside of the outer part had a sing piece of something stuck to it and the plastic has a piece or two stuck to the plastic. I'll try to post a picture. First pic is the plastic with black material. Second and third is the piece on the inside of the outer skin. Fourth fifth and sixth is what I added. Waiting till spring to do the tailgate area. My garage is not heated.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a '14 Premium. I added polyester fiberfill to the hatch and behind the driver- and passenger-sides of the hatch area. It was an inexpensive upgrade and definitely makes it quieter on the road, especially over some concrete paved highways I drive on. Sound deadening in any car makes a difference in the overall enjoyment of it; I do it for both driving and audio purposes.

I'm looking to do behind the doors in the spring when I upgrade to new speakers. Sound deadening seems to make a big difference for the Foresters. Considering how cheap it is, it's totally worthwhile. The only real investment is the time it takes to gather the materials and then do the labor installing it.

Just my 2 cents. Happy Holidays everyone!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a '15 and it had a little sound deadening stuff in the doors. The inside of the outer part had a sing piece of something stuck to it and the plastic has a piece or two stuck to the plastic. I'll try to post a picture. First pic is the plastic with black material. Second and third is the piece on the inside of the outer skin. Fourth fifth and sixth is what I added. Waiting till spring to do the tailgate area. My garage is not heated.

You did a really nice job with the ensolite here, what steps did you take to line it up and cut it properly?

·
Registered
7 Posts

You did a really nice job with the ensolite here, what steps did you take to line it up and cut it properly?
I cut it to the width, then held it in place with blue painters tape. I then used a pair of scissors to follow the outline while it was in place. I saw it on the forums here but not this one. Wish I took a picture. It was easy to do taped to the door. Just remember to cut hole for all the fastener locations.

·
Registered
434 Posts
So, on my 05 fxt I've lined the entire floor section including the trunk area with 3/8" thick insulation, and stuffed every crevice of the rear trunk and wheel well area with polyfill. I also plan on covering the wheel wells with the thick insulation material I have as opposed to the stock 10 year old stuff and will be filling the b pillars with polyfill as well. After that, all 4 doors and entire rear trunk area will be covered with dynamat extreme.

Should help some.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Also,
I'm having a few vibration and rattle issues in the dashboard assembly. I want to take it apart and line the major plastic-plastic contact points with something. I went to the local auto parts store and asked for a "felt tape" but the guy didn't have anything.

Any suggestions? Something thin and soft.
Try the fabric section and the arts & craft section at Wal Mart. They have a pretty good selection of materials. I bought some sheet felt there one time, as well as some self-adhesive felt in 8.5x11" size. If they don't have felt tape, you can cut it yourself from either of those.

If you can't find it Wal Mart, go to a fabric specialty store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a product sold at home improvement stores called peel and seal, it is very cheap and works like dynamat. The whole car can be covered inside for less than 200 bucks. I mean the inside of the roof, doors, floor, and side and rear panels. The only down side is that it smells like tar for about a week, after that no smell at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It smells like tar because it's bitumen based. If your car spends time in the hot sun the peel and seal will fall off of vertical surfaces. Might be ok if you live somewhere cold though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '04 XT and did the rear half of the car (Raamat under rear seats, trunk area, rear doors and hatch, and stuffed/sealed the pockets near hatch doors). My XT is 'stage 3' (catless invidia up/down/exhaust, tune, etc etc) and quite loud, but the db difference on idle and more notably at 80MPH is incredible, annoyed that I waited this long to do it. Ran out of Raamat, going to do front of cabin, front doors and the outside of gas tank when my new order gets here. Thought y'all might like to see the before/after of my idle:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any substitute for the ensolite? I was thinking RAAMmat, but it looks to be more expensive especially with the shipping involved.

·
Registered
590 Posts
They had a third product from raamat, I did my 2005 Mustang convertible when I changed the interior color, foam, raamat and a heavier square of material, used all three in doors, under carpet front to back, inside around rear speakers and panels in rear set area and entire trunk. PIA but the efforts paid off, I could hear the sweet exhaust and almost all road noise was gone, and this is with Michelin PSS tires and custom dual exhaust with Magnaflows and a heavily modified suspension for auto-x days, I totally plan on this for the Foz this summer.

381 - 400 of 426 Posts
About this Discussion
425 Replies
175 Participants
M_D_E
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing