Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IN THE PROCESS OF UPDATING PICTURES WITH NEW Photo HOST. Not naming any names........

Day she came home

Now

I First bought my Subaru Forester x in May 2014 because I needed a daily driver and the price was right.

Problems When Purchased

Crack in Window
Tear in drivers seat
3 dents in hood-Fixed

MODS

INTERIOR
All Season Weather Mats
Custom Glock 23 Mount
Radar Detector
Wood Grain Flooring in Trunk

TRANSMISSION/DRIVE-LINE

Torque Solutions Short Throw Shifter with Bushings
Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil
Ceramic Brake Pads

PERFORMANCE

Borla Rep Headers
Straight Pipe from cat back
Power Stop Drilled and slotted rotors

WHEELS/TIRES/SUSPENSION
Gold Scion Tc Rims wrapped with Kuhmo's
Stock Steelies with Blizzaks
Rallitek Endlinks
Wrx Suspension with custom CNC Saggy Butt Spacers

EXTERIOR
Rally Armor Mudflaps
Thule Roof Rack with Extension
Fog Light Film
JDM Grill
Tow hooks
STICKERZZZZ
Blacked out Badges
35% Window Tint
NG Solutions Front Bumper Light RacK
Hella Black Magic Light

UNDER THE HOOD
K&N Air Filter-Replace with Purolator
Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W30
Block Heater
Fumoto 105 Valve
New PS Pump
NGK Platinum Spark Plugs with Blue wire
Fresh Timing Belt/Components

Here is what's on the list:

Hood Dampers
Tint Headlights
Tint Taillights
Bluetooth Stereo
Brake upgrade on rear

Maintenance Record

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I finally got the time to lay down spray paint on my steelies in preparation for winter tires. I decided to go with Duplicolor Matte Black. I got 2 coats on before I ran out of paint. I would strongly recommend letting the paint dry at least a week before getting tires mounted!

In between coats of wheel paint, I starting to restore my headlights. I removed them from the car and baked them in the over for 10 minutes at 205 Degrees. This got rid of the moisture inside the lights and also resealed the glue that holds on the lens. I used SwirlX to remove the haze because its the only thing I had. With a little elbow grease they turned out great!

Since i was cleaning plastic.... I decided to remove the scratches on my instrument panel.

I then moved onto fixing the window noise due to loose gussets. I used a rag and a clamp to pinch the gussets back together fixing my wind noise.

Hella Supertones have been ordered and are on the way

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I Fixed the PS Pump last night after a long struggle getting the pump. Then Proceeded to changed the ORIGINAL rear diff fluid. I should have took pictures. The oil had started to separate into a wax. I had to use a Popsicle stick to dig some of this "wax" out. I put Mobile 1 synthetic back in and hopefully it will clean up nicely.

On a separate note. I have some power reduction and a reduced mpg. Planning on checking out the air filter/plugs are wires after work.

Hella Supertones are installed. Here is a video comparing the stock horn versus the Hella Supertones.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A little update on my project. Just got married and fell off the face of the earth for a few months. Its good to be back!

1. New Headlights (PIAA Extreme White) I LOVE THESE
2. Lamin-x Fog light Covers
3. Mesh Grill
4. Custom Sump Guard (Not Pictured Yet)
5. New NGK Plat. Plugs and Blue Wires
6. Ceramic Brake Pads

****Question***
I Just passed 75k and i'm beginning to worry about my timing belt. (dry rot?) I wont hit 100K for 2 more years. Should my timing belt and components be ok for a few years?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
New Parts:

Torque Solutions Short Throw Shifter
Torque Solutions Rear Shifter Bushing
Torque Solutions Front Bushings
Cobb Shift knob on its way

Having a little more road noise coming through the shift boot than before, even with all the sound deadening reinstalled. This needs fixed asap, the transmission whine/road noise is driving me crazy. Looking into some sound deadening material to stuff in there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
After my little mishap here: I've decided to replace my sump guard. Total Cost $47.

Here is the my build journal:

Material was T6 .090 thickness i purchased from an aircraft supply store. 2/4 Foot was perfect.

I carefully drew all my measurements on the sheet of T6 before beginning.

I drilled holes on all "Stress" points where the bends would take place. (carefully measuring the diameter of the bit). Should increase durability. i drilled where the bolts were going to mount into the frame.

Then I took the aluminum to the slicer and cut to width, length and a few more cuts.

Then I moved over into the band saw for more precise cuts and then sanding with a DA cleaning up my band saw cuts.

Time to bend. Its nice having a friend with a bender!

Time to test fit holes.

Fit like a glove. I drilled the holes, peeled the protective plastic off, and using acetone to remove the metal stampings leaving us with our finished
Product:

Mounted:

Everything worked out great and I used the OEM mounting bolts and location. I have no vibration sounds and added protection!

Special thanks to my good neighbor for all his help
I got some of my measurements from a prior custom build on here.
Thanks for sharing. Made my job easy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
How did you fit the hella horns? I just got some and am not sure how much or where to cut my grille as the grille won't fit with the horns mounted. Your car looks great BTW!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new toys! These horns are life savers.

I didn't have to do any cutting even with the oem grill. (I probably Should Have) It was really tight and it did touch the grill on some parts.

I bent the Subimods mount that came with my horns back towards the radiator, and also bent the wire tabs on the horns down so the wires came out the bottom. I mounted to the bolt where the "beeper" is.

If remember right the "Top Ridge" Sticks out a lot farther than the bottom. I was going to trim in the following spots if I kept the grill on.

I'll take some pictures of my mounting on my lunch break.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
BOT, You are a pro, even chamfer the holes!!! I might be placing an
order for some sheet metal for my 16 FXT. Really ,I appreciate nice work
and that is nice work. ed

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks! The previous owner destroyed a deer before I got the car. Maybe that is why I cannot for the horns with the subimods bracket at all. I tried to bend the bracket but it is still too close. Is that a homemade mesh grille? I just purchased a beat up spare one to cut up and experiment with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks! The previous owner destroyed a deer before I got the car. Maybe that is why I cannot for the horns with the subimods bracket at all. I tried to bend the bracket but it is still too close. Is that a homemade mesh grille? I just purchased a beat up spare one to cut up and experiment with.
I think its a "K Sport." Grill. It was about $70 on ebay

. I live in Amish Country Ohio... Probably the only Subaru in the County. These Horns make any animal get the crap out of the road (even Amish buggies)

Here is where I decided to mount. I was to lazy to drill my own hole.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BOT, You are a pro, even chamfer the holes!!! I might be placing an
order for some sheet metal for my 16 FXT. Really ,I appreciate nice work
and that is nice work. ed
Amazing work on the guard. Color me super impressed.
Must say, those gold rims look great with the green SG!

Thanks for the kind words! I have a mild Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as you can tell....

Yep, attention to detail is very noticeable. What else to expect from a drummer though lol?

I play bass, but am a drummer at heart.

Stan

HAHA. Thanks Stan,

So true! Don't get me started on those guitar players.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think its a "K Sport." Grill. It was about $70 on ebay

. I live in Amish Country Ohio... Probably the only Subaru in the County. These Horns make any animal get the crap out of the road (even Amish buggies)

Here is where I decided to mount. I was to lazy to drill my own hole.

Thanks again! Very good pictures too. I have everything to do it except time now...I almost purchased that grille but got a used oem one for $10 instead. Thanks for the tips and keep up the great work!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've put about 300 miles on Sue this week. Thanksgiving has been crazy.

We went pheasant hunting Thanksgiving day. The dog was on fire! We were done in 30 minutes.

Then my wife and I picked out our first Christmas tree. Looks small on top of the car.

·
Space For Rent
537 Posts
You've done some great upgrades and your Forester looks great. I've done the hood struts - so much better when you're puttering around the engine, and Bluetooth stereo, including all new speakers which were completely deteriorated, nice work!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts