Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
281 - 300 of 827 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 XT Limited 6-spd's of Wonder and Amazeballs!
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
first link is good info if you plan to wire up the newer 05+ style cruise stalks, which your jdm wheel does not have :p

from the second link i would assume you are going to attempt to swap your forester cruise stalk over to the jdm wheel? does the new wheel even have a hole on the side of it for a cruise stalk to pass through, or any of the moldings inside for it to screw into?

still, i would just swap the airbag charge from your original wheel into the jdm wheel. it's four 8mm nuts iirc and then will plug right back into the clockspring like normal. same if you think you can swap the cruise stalk on, no wiring needed as it will just plug right back into your original wiring again.
I'm at work right now so I'll have to check on this after I get home later today.

From what I recall though (and I'll have to re-read them), both those links together talk about swapping out the stock steering wheel for an updated one. They also talk about swapping the OEM cruise control stalk or wiring the newer version too. I think it also talked about how to wire in the newer style airbag or it might have been how to fit the OEM one inside the new steering wheel (can't remember).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
yeah dude, no worries no rush. but more chitchat!

so basically behind the steering wheel is the clockspring, which has an electrical ribbon in it to allow the steering wheel to turn, but still pass electrical connections through it right? the airbag/cruise/horn all come through this connection (duh).

you have a good, working airbag charge already on your original forester wheel. this is also already plugged in and wired correctly to the clockspring. so what i'm saying is just swap that airbag charge into the jdm wheel. it should (will) work/fit just fine and is also, therefore, already wired correctly for the clockspring.

the same also applies for the horn. though this is just a simple single wire with a blade connection so all you need to do is plug it into the jdm wheel at its spot.

the cruise may or may not be a different story. the reason i bring it up is because you bought a jdm steering wheel, that does not have cruise control whatsoever. so i'm curious if the wheel is even setup for it, meaning if there's even the right molding inside for you to do the cruise stalk "swap" that the nasioc thread entails. and i also believe there is no side exit hole for the cruise stalk to even pass through? so there may be some physical modification in that area.

however if you can successfully swap over your cruise stalk then the wiring will be simple, as in no wiring involved. all you need to do is plug the cruise stalk back into your forester clockspring wiring as, again, it's already setup for it.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
yeah dude, no worries no rush. but more chitchat!

so basically behind the steering wheel is the clockspring, which has an electrical ribbon in it to allow the steering wheel to turn, but still pass electrical connections through it right? the airbag/cruise/horn all come through this connection (duh).

you have a good, working airbag charge already on your original forester wheel. this is also already plugged in and wired correctly to the clockspring. so what i'm saying is just swap that airbag charge into the jdm wheel. it should (will) work/fit just fine and is also, therefore, already wired correctly for the clockspring.

the same also applies for the horn. though this is just a simple single wire with a blade connection so all you need to do is plug it into the jdm wheel at its spot.

the cruise may or may not be a different story. the reason i bring it up is because you bought a jdm steering wheel, that does not have cruise control whatsoever. so i'm curious if the wheel is even setup for it, meaning if there's even the right molding inside for you to do the cruise stalk "swap" that the nasioc thread entails. and i also believe there is no side exit hole for the cruise stalk to even pass through? so there may be some physical modification in that area.

however if you can successfully swap over your cruise stalk then the wiring will be simple, as in no wiring involved. all you need to do is plug the cruise stalk back into your forester clockspring wiring as, again, it's already setup for it.
Hmm.....interesting.....I'll have a closer look-see at my new(to me) steering wheel once I get home from work here in a few hours and see what's up. I'll also root through my toolbox and see if I have the correct bits to take the wheel apart fully or not.

Thanks for the heads up though dude! I can't wait for my new carpet to get here and I still need to order new window gussets. Once those items get here ill be ready to tear into my interior to scrub and swap it all out. Only thing left at that point will be to pull the seat heaters outta my stock seats and put them in the new seats!

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Huh? I thought you had 07 STi limited seats ([email protected]), which are heated...
I do, but the company I bought them from had removed and sold the seat heaters for some odd reason or another so I'm going to be swapping the ones in my stock seats over to the new seats and call it good. I wasn't about to get hung up on the lack of existing seat heaters and not grab the interior, especially when I could just swap mine and call it good!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hmm.....interesting.....I'll have a closer look-see at my new(to me) steering wheel once I get home from work here in a few hours and see what's up. I'll also root through my toolbox and see if I have the correct bits to take the wheel apart fully or not.

Thanks for the heads up though dude! I can't wait for my new carpet to get here and I still need to order new window gussets. Once those items get here ill be ready to tear into my interior to scrub and swap it all out. Only thing left at that point will be to pull the seat heaters outta my stock seats and put them in the new seats!
the only semi-odd tool you should need is a torx bit to take the airbag cover off. can't remember the size right now though lol. also make sure to use a 6 point socket on the main steering wheel nut!

let me know how the seat heater swap goes. i still have my stock xt seats; a friend and i want to swap them into his 05 sti eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
the only semi-odd tool you should need is a torx bit to take the airbag cover off. can't remember the size right now though lol. also make sure to use a 6 point socket on the main steering wheel nut!

let me know how the seat heater swap goes. i still have my stock xt seats; a friend and i want to swap them into his 05 sti eventually.
Alrighty, so a few quick pics of what I'm working with here.

First, the steering wheel in my '06 STi:

So now we obviously see where the CC stalk goes.

Next, my current JDM steering wheel:

Yup, definitely no hole/slot for it.

Now, looking at a few other pictures I have of it (b/c I just figured out I have the torx socket BUT it's too fat to get in there so now I've got to buy another one):

You can see that it "appears" that there is a provision for one to be there, just no slot cut for it. Obviously this gives me a bit of hope here but I can't confirm anything until I open it up.

Lastly, a few pics of my airbag:

Mayhaps I can use the current existing one in the wheel? Or perhaps I have to use the one currently still in my Forester??

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Also got this update today too from the guys over at Moore Performance.

It's my new/extended throttle body cable bracket. They just finished cutting and re-welding it to account for the further displacement of the throttle body. Up next, off to the poweredcoaters and eventually into my Foz!

·
Registered
707 Posts
yeah i pretty much expected that with the jdm wheel.

so i would go check that nasioc thread you linked, then scroll down to post #2 and get to the part where he has the rear plastic cover taken off the wheel frame. see if your jdm wheel has those screw hole moldings in it or not.

if it does, then you should be able to swap over your forester cruise stalk following the same directions in that nasioc thread. and obviously you will need to make a hole in the side of the plastic for the stalk to come out of.

if it doesn't have those moldings in it, then i bet you'll be able to swap over the cruise stalk still...it will just have to be a bit more custom mounted. though the nasioc thread is a great reference to where to start. i'm sure it can be figured out.

from the pics of the wheel you posted the airbag charge is single stage. your original airbag plug should go right into it, so no need to swap the charge.

i can't figure out what that green plug with a single(?) wire is though, at least from your pics. does it run inside the airbag housing? or does it have a blade connector on it? if it has the single connector then that should be the horn connection. so you can just reuse your forester horn wire (it is apart of the cruise stalk anyways) and just connect it to the new spot on the wheel.

aside from having to cut/trim/mount the cruise stalk, overall it appears to be plug and play.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·

so i would go check that nasioc thread you linked, then scroll down to post #2 and get to the part where he has the rear plastic cover taken off the wheel frame. see if your jdm wheel has those screw hole moldings in it or not.

if it does, then you should be able to swap over your forester cruise stalk following the same directions in that nasioc thread. and obviously you will need to make a hole in the side of the plastic for the stalk to come out of.

if it doesn't have those moldings in it, then i bet you'll be able to swap over the cruise stalk still...it will just have to be a bit more custom mounted. though the nasioc thread is a great reference to where to start. i'm sure it can be figured out.
Yeah, I expected as much too after getting home and looking at things as well as taking the pics. It appears to me that the needed moldings are indeed there but I can't confirm anything at all until I'm able to get the wheel apart and see the internals for sure.

That being said, even IF they are there, I'm still going to need to trim a hole/slot for it and I neither own a dremel nor do I have much skill with one. I do have access to a pencil grinder at work though and may experiment with using it since it's air driven and variable speed.

If it doesn't have it, well, I might have to see if there's a way to just order the back plastic piece or get "creative" about how to retain it and the use of it.

from the pics of the wheel you posted the airbag charge is single stage. your original airbag plug should go right into it, so no need to swap the charge.

i can't figure out what that green plug with a single(?) wire is though, at least from your pics. does it run inside the airbag housing? or does it have a blade connector on it? if it has the single connector then that should be the horn connection. so you can just reuse your forester horn wire (it is apart of the cruise stalk anyways) and just connect it to the new spot on the wheel.

aside from having to cut/trim/mount the cruise stalk, overall it appears to be plug and play.
I'm glad to hear that the airbag is a single stage and thus I "should" be able to just reuse it with with the new wheel instead of swapping my stock one over.

The other wire I also assume is for the horn itself. It does have a single wire going to that green connector but I didn't look at it to see what type of connector it was. I'd hazard a guess it's w blade connector but without looking I can't know for sure. Same goes for if it's actually the horn wire or not, until I take the wheel apart I won't know. I do plan on buying the required bit though soon so I can do just that, I'm going to need it anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Also, I think I remember reading somewhere it's a T30 drive I need to get those screws in/out.....

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Not gonna lie, I drove my STi yesterday (my once a week ritual right now) and definitely once again found myself WISHING I would have waited for or found an XT instead of my XS.....:huh:

Don't get me wrong, N/A is great and all what with the cheaper maintenance costs, cheaper fuel costs, and somewhat better fuel economy BUT I sure do love the feel of boost and the sound of a turbo spooling up as well as the viable capability to get more (power) out of the motor at a reasonable cost....*sigh*....:shake:

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
first link is good info if you plan to wire up the newer 05+ style cruise stalks, which your jdm wheel does not have :p

from the second link i would assume you are going to attempt to swap your forester cruise stalk over to the jdm wheel? does the new wheel even have a hole on the side of it for a cruise stalk to pass through, or any of the moldings inside for it to screw into?

Actually.....I think I might've found a MUCH simpler fix for this.....SubaruGenuineParts.com actually sells this part individually for just under $11 and considering mine already has some scratches on the sides of the case anyway AND my hand isn't exactly the steadiest with a dremel or pencil grinder when it comes to plastic (that isht melts too easily!) I figure maybe I should just spend the $11 for the part itself and get it new vice attempt to modify the existing one and take the chance of screwing it up and having to buy a new one anyway.

Might as well save the time and effort and frustration, right? Besides, I need to order new window gussets and a few other bits anyway so maybe I can catch a break on shipping.

For anyone who wants to know how to find it, it's under the tab for "steering wheel" and it's called the "Lower Cover". You can also try searching for it via the keyword "LOW COVER AY - 2005-07".

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Also, for anyone who might be curious, it appears that the only difference between the JDM steering wheels and the USDM steering wheels is the cutout on the side for the CC stalk to stick out.

USDM Steering Wheel:

JDM Steering Wheel:

·
Registered
707 Posts
well cool, if you can just buy a new rear wheel cover that has the hole in it already for that cheap...might be the way to go!

though a dremel is never a bad tool to have around :p i bought a nice dremel kit at walmart lol. it actually worked super slick for when i was trimming my forester gauge cluster surround to fit the sti cluster recently. i just used the thinnest cutting wheel at a medium speed. it cut through the plastic like butter. then i just ran a file over the cut edges and everything cleaned right up.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
well cool, if you can just buy a new rear wheel cover that has the hole in it already for that cheap...might be the way to go!
exACTLY...... :wink:

though a dremel is never a bad tool to have around :p i bought a nice dremel kit at walmart lol. it actually worked super slick for when i was trimming my forester gauge cluster surround to fit the sti cluster recently. i just used the thinnest cutting wheel at a medium speed. it cut through the plastic like butter. then i just ran a file over the cut edges and everything cleaned right up.
Completely agree here. I do intend on buying one at some point and getting more experience at using it. I just don't have much right now nor do I actually have one. The closest thing I have experience with is an air driven pencil grinder with various bits and having been used on aluminum, stainless steel, and titanium.....all quite a bit harder then plastic (each and every time I've used it on plastic I melt it).

Even so, I do intend on picking one up one day here soon as there are MANY uses for those little buggers and my growing tool arsenal needs to have one in it. :biggrin:

281 - 300 of 827 Posts