Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goal: to maintain the headlights and grille of the forester(since i just retrofitted HIDS and painted the grille) but molding a hawkeye sti front bumper.

Plan: cut the forester and sti front bumpers just above the license plate frame, mold them into one and all is good

I haven't taken many pics since this is more of a pain in the donkey than i anticipated. bumpers aren't even close to the same contour but since I now have 2 half bumpers i will finish the project.

so far I have cut both bumpers, zip tied them together in a stitching type fashion to test fit and there in lies the second hiccup in the equation. MASSIVE lower grille trimming needed accommodate for my FMIC and more than likely won't be able to maintain fog lights like I originally wanted.

that is where i left it for the night. tomorrow is plastic welding!!!!

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I think it will look amazing when it is complete, but I have to politely ask. What did you use to cut the forester bumper?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I think it will look amazing when it is complete, but I have to politely ask. What did you use to cut the forester bumper?
I think he chewed it off... lol. Goodluck, it takes quite a bit of practice to get plastic to come out very good, I've tried a few projects like this and they never end up fitting quite right. I'm probably going to try it with my bumper eventually too, as the entire bottom of my front bumper is ripped up anyway.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he chewed it off... lol. Goodluck, it takes quite a bit of practice to get plastic to come out very good, I've tried a few projects like this and they never end up fitting quite right. I'm probably going to try it with my bumper eventually too, as the entire bottom of my front bumper is ripped up anyway.
very close funky but I enlisted his help

but for real I used a heat gun and a utility knife with a fresh blade. remember the cuts don't have to be perfect since will be plastic welding, sanding, bondoing to fill in any spots, sanding, sanding and then painting. Did I mention I will be sanding?

a little piece to mention, I have a perfectly good front bumper as back up in case things go terribly wrong

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've done that and its a lots of work to mold them together. WRX bumper is round in the middle and Forester is very flat and has that mold under the grille.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looked closer at your pictures, not to say its bad, but I cut mine forester bumper a little lower and I left corner shape from forester bumper - this way I didn't have to play with shaping straight corner and I had flat surface to put a stripe of leftover plastic (about 1-1,5inch) behind to make it more rigid. I'll take a few pictures from behind my bumper and send you after the weekend

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I picked up an 03 wrx bumper that i was going to start a similar project with. I like the look of the big-a$$ fog lights. I think your project is going to turn out great, have fun with it!

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got roped into doing yardwork on saturday and my friends band played on sunday so no update, but I am heading back out to the garage after breakfast to start more plastic welding

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Its well past breakfast EST...updates!
some people....sheesh. good things come to those who wait

well after the better part of a day inhaling plastic fumes ive got the bumper MOSTLY plastic welded together. Need more plastic rods to finish and then sanding tomorrow

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Getting close to the fun part: Sanding and filling!!!!

Looking great so far. I want to do the same thing with an 04 STi bumper, so hopefully you can provide some tips/suggestions when your all done!

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Looks good so far. I can not wait to see the finished bumper.

joe r

1 - 20 of 66 Posts