Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I misplaced one of my two full function ignition key fobs. I have two working keys...one full function (with remote door opener) and one valet key.

Some years ago with my 2012 Mitsubishi I was in a similar situation and reluctant to pay the dealer nearly $400 for a full function key plus programming, a locksmith was courteous enough to tell me I could buy a full function compatible key fob from a third party and, because I had TWO valid keys, could easily program the third key myself. It worked easily.
The directions are these:
?Insert one of your two working keys and turn the ignition to the "on" position for at least three seconds (the car does not need to be started), then repeat the process with the second key.

Now insert the new third key and again turn it to the "on" position for another few seconds. This should program the extra key. Before you try this method and spend money on a key, however, we suggest you check with the dealership or your local automotive locksmith to see if the process is one that will reliably work with your particular model of car."
I did find a reasonably priced third party source of a compatible key fob on the web at a reasonable price.

My question, before I buy that key, to all who might know is this likely to work on the 2015 Subaru Forester?

All replies appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
A locksmith that has the capability to work Subaru's should be able to add a third key fob since you have two functioning ones. Best option is to call around and ask. I don't think you can add an additional key fob as a DIY project without special equipment/tooling

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
126 Posts
I have successfully used the programming regimen acensor describes on a 2010 Chev. Cobalt, but Miker is correct when it comes to Subs--things are more complicated now. And if by "full function" key fobs you mean a pushbutton ignition fob, I'd suggest doing the programming routine quickly, because if you were somehow to lose the remaining fob, the cost to replace and program 2 replacements would be exorbitant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts