Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the new member intro, but now that I'm finding time to dig in, I figured I'd start this.

We bought our 2004 FXT in May of this year after finally giving up on the POS Jeep we'd bought to replace our Outback wagon. It took a while for our local dealer to find an FXT, but after a month or so, he did.

Here is how we brought it home, silver nose and all :)

Shortly after we brought it home our city was devastated by a flood (made national news because our mall was under water). Turns out mice were displaced along with the humans. One or more of them decided to make lunch/home out of our wiring harness only 2 weeks after taking delivery :(

There is more carnage. They ate a bunch of vacuum lines as well. So, back to the dealer for an insurance claim, new tubes, wiring, MAP sensor and a/c compressor.

I sourced a red nose shortly after from a local Fozzie enthusiast. Then, it was time for some new shoes. Decided I wanted nicer summer shoes and a dedicated winter setup for the Fozzie. I think these are nice but still subtle. I couldn't find anything anywhere near new england so I found these on the mid atlantic section of NASIOC.

Before (nicer picture with wife's fancy camera)

After (crappy Sony Cybershot)

I have a turboxs up-pipe ready to go on. Trying to source an Sti tmic, STI brake booster, and now have a source for some stainless brake lines. I want to do sway bars, but can't decide between Sti and Perrin/Cobb/Whiteline.

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any feedback and direction.

Cheers
T

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Journal update consolidating other posts and new stuff.

As posted previously on another thread, I finally got a new Sti axle back from an '04:
Fits nice

Also had a chance to get a baseline on a mustang awd dyno. This is a completely stock (except for the muffler) FXT 4eat car.

One of the dyno pulls:

A few lessons learned. First, it's damned hard getting a clean WOT pull with an a/t car. I had to start the chart at 4krpm to get 3 clean pulls. It kept downshifting into second gear if I floored it lower than 4k. Second, Mustang dyno's are heart breakers. Leave your ego at home and remember that these are simply tuning tools. That said, this car laid down a whopping 139awhp and 164awtq at a very rich 10.3 as measured on the wideband. Obviously there is a lot of room to tune with should I decide to. I haven't installed the up-pipe yet because the job looks to be a complete b!tch with the turbo in place. And I'm not taking that out until I get a lead on a good VFxx.

Anyway, thought someone might like the update. If you are in MA/RI/CT consider using DynoTech Tuning in Seekonk, MA. It's a big deal getting an awd dyno locally and it's run by regular guys, enthusiasts like us.

T

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting on a dyno all stock is usually VERY bad for the wallet. Let the engine mods begin!
Oh man, so true. I've been doing this for more than 10 years with DSM's and seen my share of heartbreak. This was the dyno run just as the trans blew. You can see the squiggles on the chart just as I was approaching 400whp. Luckily the trans builder stood by his work and rebuilt it for gratis.

It was a serious build too:
fuel cell

Big aeromotive pump and lines

turbo setup

built motor

post fail, on its way to the shredder in a fit of anger after the trans fail. I wouldn't even sell it. I had nothing but hate for the car after all that time and money

1 - 7 of 7 Posts