Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Decided to take off my JDM-stylee rain vent thingies yesterday. Looks much better without! Only thing is, getting the foam tape off. Does anyone have a MacGyver-type idea of some household substance that might remove it without damaging the paint? Back when I was working in a bodyshop, we had a thing called a 'caramel wheel' which would go in the drill and you could grind the foam tape off without damaging the paint underneath, however they're fairly expensive, and was wondering if there's anything I could do for nowt?

Cheers

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Rain vent thingies ??? Do you mean the wind deflectors that run over the doors and down the side of the screen ?
How about the stuff that removes sticking plaster from skin..is it called Zoff ?..from Boots.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TC2000, I'll give WD40 a go.

Yes Brian, the wind deflectors. The driver's side was coming off a bit at the back, so I decided I'd try without for a while, to see if I got less wind noise. So far it's different noise, rather than less, but I prefer the look I think so they might stay off!

and dpm: I might look a bit perverted rubbing baby oil on my Forester, but nice try :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I would suggest removing the tape before worrying about the goo....

Warm it with a hair dryer and peel it off slowly as the adhesive softens.

I prefer white spirit for any small amount of adhesive left, much cheaper!

Simon

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,572 Posts
Elbow grease was the only thing that worked for me. I took mine off after some donkey lent on it and snap it. You will be lucky to get it off in one piece. I had to snap small bits off.

The foam tape sticky stuff I got off with a plastic scraper. It didn't damage the paint but took ages.

I still have to do the other side so anything that would make it easier would be good.

Mark

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I would break it from all the horror stories I've heard, but both came off in one piece. I carefully teased up one end, and cut through the centre of the foam tape, preventing the knife blade from touching the car or wind deflector. The only problem doing it that way is you have to clean off the tape!

A

·
0 Posts
Leave the foam tape as it is and absolutely saturate in white spirit, the foam will hold onto the white spirit whilst it dissolves the glue, I can guarantee it will be the easiest and fastest way to remove the whole lot in one go, and white spirit is 100% safe to use on automotive bodywork..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts