Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love a 3" Miltek but at the moment it's quite a way down the mod list ;)

In the interim I'm seeing what I can do with Prodrive bits - I've already managed to get a genuine Forester Prodrive back box off ebay and well pleased with that in terms of bling and burble.

I've now just gone and splurged on a PPP turbo back exhaust from a MY05 impreza (ebay again) :) on the hope I can fit it to the FXT.

It comprises of the sports cat, next section and back box - obviously I'll sell the back box on but will I be able to use the sports cat and next section ? What will I be replacing from the standard exhaust if I do that and what will be left ? Would be getting a remap at the same time..

I believe the new version of the cat has a new turbo end opening - open mouth ? Any issues with mating this up with a TD04 or should I wait until I get a VF39 ?

Sorry for all the questions - one day I might be able to answer a few back ;)

Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
yep , everything else should fit no probs.

new ppp downpipe has gone open neck - which is a good thing, no probs with your TD04.

Save your remap until you do a turbo swap IMO.

Why choose a vf39 ?

Steve

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Steve - good to know :) I know it won't be as good as a Miltek but should see me ok for 330/330 with a new turbo etc and at a fraction of the cost.

Thinking I would need a remap if I changed the exhaust though ? but you're right I might just keep it in the garage until I'm ready with the rest of the engine mods and do it in one go..

VF39 - mate has a new one cheapish that I can have plus it's what comes with the 2.5 sti as standard I believe....would you recommend different ?
Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
nah , not for just an exhaust. Factory map is pig rich , all you'll do is lean it out a tad when you change the 'zorst - sling it on whenever ...

VF39's fine if it is cheap enough - if you were buying new a td05/18g would be a tougher unit...

Steve

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh - ok I didn't know that - was going with what I read on SN with regards to the impreza :)

So would I see a performance gain ? If so I might go with it now and do the turbo/remap thing later on..

While I've got your attention ;) is there anything else power wise I'll need to consider for later ?

I think injectors are 550's so presume thats ok - not sure about fuel pump / induction / intercooler though..

Cheers
Pete

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not done anything power wise yet - planning it out now :)
What's recommended on the induction front then ?

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
just pick up a green panel filter from Len next time you're passing .

STi8 intercooler & splitter would be a good shout , as would a samco 'Y' hose. I think the bugly scoop fits too ?

Pump should be ok, not a lot of hassle to drop the walbro255 in though if you feel the urge :)

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been looking for a bugly sti scoop but seem to be rare as hens teeth ! will keep my eye out on ebay for an Sti IC then ;)

Sti panel filter fit ?

Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
yup , both of them are straight drop-in's.

S

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm contemplating an Aussie scoop - because I can - to go with the water spray I fitted some time back and possibly an STi intercooler when I can get a fit.
I also did the "snorkelectomy" and fitted a replacement panel filter ( HKS).
I guess serious power gains would now require serious expenditure.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
In my opinion it's an exponential cost/power curve over 300bhp ( on a 2.0 ) and 330bhp ( on a 2.5 ), below that the mods are *relatively* cheap.

Your mods aren't listed .. are you running a bigger blower / decat downpipe / engine management yet ?

S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts