Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Top rim is plastidipped, bottom one still awaiting treatment in this picture:

Aluminum color dip is pretty accurate! Although the difference in person is a lot more apparent, coated rims look so much better. You can definitely see how it exaggerates the imperfections, though. The biggest curb/scrape section is on this rim, and it's dimpled (top left of picture). It's my first time using plastidip, it sure is a lot more goof-proof than paint.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Here they are all mounted up:

Initial impression of the tires is 'meh'. Steering feels a little too much on the vague/light side - combination of the high (stock) offset rims and less extreme tires. Although I haven't pushed them at all yet, they supposedly grip very well for tires with a 50k mile lifespan. I miss the immediate response of the 18" setup & Direzza tires, but for longer distance driving this is what I was going for. And it'll hopefully combine well when I do my other front suspension mods, adding a boatload of caster into the equation, and swapping in the WRX steering rack I have waiting in the wings.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hmm, one of the tires isn't holding pressure, slow leak. More as it develops.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Of course, all brand new. NAPA metal snap-in ones. I'm gonna double check the core on it of course, but it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Okay, so it's been holding pressure fine for the past 5 days. Not sure what the deal is - it was definitely @ 32psi when I mounted it up for the first time, and a little over a week later (~200 miles) it was down to 12psi. Now it's been more than 300 miles and it's holding steady - maybe lost a psi or two, but it's hard to gauge because the temperature has been fluctuating wildly from day to day.

Guess I'll keep checking it every few days.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts