Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked these up yesterday for $200:

They're so dirty I'm pretty sure they've been stored under a snowbank for the last couple years. And there's some pretty impressive curb rash as well:

Plus my personal favorite most annoying tire installation habit, wheel weights remaining from every single tire mount/balance they've ever been through. At least 3 by my count. Removing the corroded clamp weights are probably going to cause some more damage.

I'm going to drop them off tomorrow to get the tires removed, then I'll start cleaning & scouring them down. I'll look into getting them refinished, but for how much that costs I could just buy wheels that didn't need it to begin with . . . so I'll probably just sand/smooth out the worst of it and then cover them up with plastidip. :)

I already ordered some new center caps. Stay tuned for progress pictures, I want to get these set up to be my long distance road trip rims. For tires, Kumho Ecsta PA31's are the front runners, in a 215/55-17 size.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
They are Prodrives.. they can take much more abuse than that.. :biggrin:
Those are one of my all time favourite wheels.. nice score.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are Prodrives.. they can take much more abuse than that.. :biggrin:
They each weigh close to 23 pounds, so I should hope so. :lol:

Anyone do their own sand or soda blasting? Is an inexpensive (<$100) one worth investing in? Although I don't even have an air compressor right now.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I love those wheels, I had a set in Anthracite. They are heavy but will probably survive driving over a mine, they are rally wheels. Simple and classy.

Stan

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6MT
323 Posts
Nice score!!! You can't go wrong for that price. I'd probably just clean them up real good and run them for winter wheels.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've already got Blizzaks on my stock rims for winter, so this will be my 3rd set. 16" winters, 18" summer fun/commute (sticky Dunlop Direzza's), and these will be for long trips.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a quote from a (relatively) local place to get them sandblasted, $30/wheel, which seems reasonable. Another place quoted $60/wheel! :eek:

Although videos like
kind of want to make me bite the bullet on a cheap harbor freight air compressor and do it myself . . .

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I went shopping tonight.

I'm 30% sure that a $30 sandblaster kit isn't going to work for sh|t, at least not using cheap-*** playground sand from Home Depot. :)

But I'll obviously be able to find a use for the air compressor again.

You can see the wheels in the background, I've got them prepped for stripping - tires off, center caps off, valve stems removed, and wheel weights scraped off. I was hoping to do it tomorrow, but it's looking like rain all day. I guess I'll at least be able to run the break-in cycle for the compressor. My downstairs neighbors are going to be super impressed.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6MT
323 Posts
Nice. Almost scored a set of P1s last week but I was 2nd in line and I think they are taken.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Total fail of a work day this morning. Compressor stopped working after the first cycle (found out later that I tripped a fuse where I had it plugged in), and the sandblaster kit didn't work for shart. I blame sand that was still a tiny bit damp, very limited air pressure, or some combination of the two.

So anyway, I need to do some experimentation to find an outlet in my apartment that runs on a 15+ amp circuit (nothing's labeled in my fuse box), give the sand another few days to dry out, and then try again on Sunday assuming the weather doesn't suck.

A few other bad news items, the bolt-in valve stems I bought aren't going to work (top washer is too large to seat the stem flush), and the center caps I bought also don't fit. Good times.

Ordering tires tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Curious to hear how well the $30 kit works. Those wheels are great and trust me for rallye wheels they're in excellent shape. Yes they're heavy but they're also pretty much indescrtuctable.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Online reviews of the sand blaster I have are largely positive (Harbor Freight Spot Blaster), so I'm hopeful that it'll be fine for me as well.

Tire size will be 215/55-17. 97% chance I'll be going with Kumho PA31's. If I feel like spending an extra $200 I'll order Continental DWS's.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tires arrived yesterday, I went with the Kumhos. Tirerack is amazing, they arrived 18 hours after I placed my order. Even after shipping costs ($55) and mount/balance expenses, they'll be more than $150 cheaper than any of the 3 local places I called.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the results.
I'll be visiting harbor freight tomorrow on my trip to the US. Living in Strathroy, Ontario, just outside of London, Ontario makes it easy for me to drive 30 minutes to the border.

Maybe I''ll pick up this kit for when I do my 2004 XT stockers and paint them.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So mixed results. Before:

After 10 minutes of work:

Compressor is of course undersized so it runs constantly. And there are occasional issues with it not feeding sand right away, despite cutting the feed hose down to half it's original length, screen filtering the sand so there weren't any clogs, and letting it sit indoors for a week to dry.

So good results for cleaning/polishing, but there wasn't enough bite to actually strip the paint. Here you can see spots where paint was bubbling up and it took it off that area, but failed to do more than that:

It also didn't do much to smooth out the curb rash.

And no surprise it makes an impressive amount of dust & mess - if I do any more myself I'll be getting one of those helmet/hood setups.

But I dropped them off at a professional's this afternoon. :D

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And here's one of them after getting it done professionally:

Much thanks to the tire techs for getting grease and handprints all over them, and even scratching one of them by dropping it face down onto the pavement. assh0les.

Curbing is still there, but much reduced obviously. I like the look of the raw aluminum, but will be plastidipping them silver this weekend if the weather holds.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New wheel/tire combo weighs 46lb. 6.6oz. per corner. Not exactly going to help performance through weight savings there. :lol:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
These wheels aren't known for lightness , if you ever smack a curb you'll appreciate their construction. I"d go back to the tire shop and ask for some $$ back since they damaged your freshly finished wheels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts