Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No heavy breathing stuff going on, but after cleaning my interior windows with Stoner Invisible Glass and using clean microfiber towels, I find the windows fogging up more easily. I believe a lot of people here have been using the Stoner cleaner with good results. Any suggestions? The car was in a garage (non-heated), cleaner came from within the house. Could it have been the temp difference between the colder glass and warmer cleaner?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question but, did you have the vent air open? I was just in this situation the other day with my girlfriends car and realized I had the vent close and on recirculate, even though I usually check it before turning on the defrost setting.

·
Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,165 Posts
I had this happen last time I cleaned my windshield. Cleaning it 2-3 times seemed to do the trick. Don't know why, but it did that on both my vehicles last month.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this happen last time I cleaned my windshield. Cleaning it 2-3 times seemed to do the trick. Don't know why, but it did that on both my vehicles last month.
I was thinking maybe it would come to that. I also plan on putting a small portable heater in the car to warm up the interior while in the garage to remove any moisture as I clean again.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,760 Posts
good dog, my sister's 2005 Legacy's winshield used to fog up really bad in the winter. I told her to turn on the AC, set the fan speed on high, and set to defrost. I find the windows clear twice as fast with the AC on as compaired to just fresh outside air. Give that a try and it should work out-let me know how it does:smile:.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
593 Posts
good dog, my sister's 2005 Legacy's winshield used to fog up really bad in the winter. I told her to turn on the AC, set the fan speed on high, and set to defrost. I find the windows clear twice as fast with the AC on as compaired to just fresh outside air. Give that a try and it should work out-let me know how it does:smile:.
I have had the issue with every car I ever owned. A case of not cleaning my interior windows for years at a time...any grime catches moisture easily.

The fix is 1) to keep interior windows spotless (windex or glass cleaner works great) and 2) if you cannot keep em clean like me...the AC works like a charm even in winter to de-humidify the cabin.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've had a combination of issues, since my windows are tinted, you have to be careful of the glass cleaner you use and since many members swear by Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner, I thought I'd give it a try.

Combined with not really cleaning the windows (paper towel), since I got them tinted, I most likely moved some of the grime around that traps moisture. I cleaned the interior windows again, working from the outside edges first, moving inwards. I also put a small portable heater in the back of the car to warm the interior glass before repeating it again.

Cleaning it the second time has seemed to work, we've had some pretty damp (rain) weather over Christmas and only a small patch on the rear quarter glass fogged up with a damp dog in the back.

Thanks for the suggestions, since I now have a product that's safe on tinted windows, I'll be cleaning them more frequently.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
....personally, having tried many glass cleaners over the years (including SIG when it was initially introduced), I still use a 50/50 mix of IPA and deionized water to clean my windows. I then buff with a good quality, clean (washed) microfiber towel. I do this often enough that I seldom find the need to use a stronger cleaner. I don't like most glass cleaners since (IME) they usually tend to leave a residue that can be difficult to remove at times (requiring several passes). IMO, IPA & DI (or distilled water) wipes away cleaner & much faster. If I do use a dedicated product, my choice is usually Sprayway (been using it for years and it is safe on tint). However, your choice in towels will make a big difference. Unfortunately, glass cleaning seems to be a hit & miss topic when it comes to recommending products, techniques & tools. What works really well for one person doesn't always work for others. The trick is to keep trying new things until you find a combination that works for you.

....btw, I found using clay on the outside of the glass periodically helps as well. It does a good job at removing contaminants.

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Use soap

I clean my interior glass every time with a strong dishwashing liquid detergent (*dish soap in US?) mix in water. This prevents fogging for long enough so that the heater can warm/dry the air in the cabin. *eg: Sunlight

A generous squirt into about 500mls of water, mix (it should be quite soapy/slippery), then use a small foam cleaning pad - squeezed out hard -to wipe down inside all the windows leaving an invisible detergent layer on the inside. Small bubbles on the glass will dry and disappear. Rinse and squeeze the pad between windows if they are really grotty. The detergent layer reduces the surface tension of the water that fogs/condenses on it, so instead of seeing fog (ie: small droplets of water), it spreads water into a thin transparent layer.

The detergent cleans the windows, gets off oily film, is invisible and prevents fogging.

If you dont have good ventilation going however, the glass will get wet on the inside and the water/detergent will run off, so keep the fan speed high. Use AC on recirc if things get really bad to keep a drier atmosphere inside the car.

It will not harm tint at all and is easily removed with more water should you need to.

And it's real cheap.:icon_idea:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,695 Posts
I had this problem with my 2010. Cleaned the interior windows.. and the fogging got worse. Cleaned 2 more times with generic glass cleaner and kept changing to clean paper towels. Seemed to have worked. Only thing I can think of ... some ozone buildup on the windows from transporting to dealer.
Long way from Japan and then on a car carrier I presume the rest of the way.

·
Registered
1999 S/tb Manual
3 Posts
Search up Rain X on google. This is what i use, just use the wipes on the inside of the windows and wipe off any residue with a micro fibre cloth. Results speak for themselves. I have a packet of them and the Original wipes in my glove box right now, waiting for a rainy day.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I wonder if you are getting water in somewhere?

I had the same thing happen on my jetta, plus ice freezing to the inside during the winter, it drove me crazy cleaning and scraping the inside of the windows until I figured out that the seals on the taillights were leaking water into the trunk.. water inside would evaporate and stick to the windows when it cooled down..

I keep these in our westy all winter; drizair
might be worth a shot..

·
Premium Member
2017 2.5i Premium
13 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question but, did you have the vent air open? I was just in this situation the other day with my girlfriends car and realized I had the vent close and on recirculate, even though I usually check it before turning on the defrost setting.
THis problem was reported back in 2009 yet here in 2017 8 years later does not seem to have been properly resolved by Subaru engineers. My 2017 Forester has a far worse fogging problem than my 2006 Honda CRV. Last night I nearly died in traffic because I could not see properly because the engineers at Subaru seem to be oblivious to problems.

Another example of oblivious engineers: The owner of a 2014 Forester was complaining on this forum of the absence of an overhead light in the cargo area. The 2017 Forester has the same issue.

This is one owner who does not love his Soobie... :crying:

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,403 Posts
It makes you wonder "do the Subaru designers and engineers leave the office at the end of the day and get in their Toyotas and Hondas ?
How could they not know ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts