Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...I am new to the board. I have a 2009 Forester X @ 14K miles. I bought it brand new....I have the steel wheels with covers. About 2 or 3 months ago, I started noticing a squeak sound in my front brakes when coming to a stop from any speed. It started getting worse and finally took it to the dealer.

1st time at the dealer - said it was brake dust build up. The cleaned the dust and for a day, it stopped squeaking.

2nd time - Took it to the same dealer and told them the same thing. Said they double-checked the pads, calipers and rotors and nothing is wrong.

3rd time - Took it to another dealer and they said that it is normal sound because of the semi-metallic brake noise...all Subarus do that sir.

So my question is, is it really normal? Others having this problem? Or am I getting the runaround? It's really annoying and loud to the point where it's like nails on a chalk-board. Plus the fact of the matter that I never had this sound before! Help! What can I do?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,378 Posts
I have a squeak in them now and then. It may be semi-normal. It was worse when the car was new. The brakes are wearing fine.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
I know that on Japanese cars you need to put some copper grease on the metal clip cover things, the bit that covers the pads, but dont get any on the pads or the disc!!! Danno what they are called but was told to always grease them as for some reason Japanese cars tent to 'squeak' without it.
I have always done it and never had a squeak.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Heh, I put no shims or antisqueel on mine anymore and don't get any noise. Make sure the slide/antirattle clips that the pads fit into in the caliper are clean and greased though, they have a pretty big effect on braking. Also make sure the slide pins are in good shape and greased. I -never- bring mine to a dealer or shop for brake work anymore, they always overcharge a huge amount and never do a particularly good job. Also there is a groove in the middle of each pad that pad material, road junk etc can get caught up in. I had a tiny pebble in one of mine and it ruined my rotor and caused really bad wear.

When I had noises and the dealership said they had "cleaned it up and checked it out" all they had done was take the wheel off and clean up the visible brake dust, they hadn't actually check -anything-. My wheel bearing completely failed about 2 months later (enough play that the wheel was just flopping around).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that on Japanese cars you need to put some copper grease on the metal clip cover things, the bit that covers the pads, but dont get any on the pads or the disc!!! Danno what they are called but was told to always grease them as for some reason Japanese cars tent to 'squeak' without it.
I have always done it and never had a squeak.
One of my buddies who works on cars at work mentioned this. I guess I can go to the dealer and tell them to grease it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh, I put no shims or antisqueel on mine anymore and don't get any noise. Make sure the slide/antirattle clips that the pads fit into in the caliper are clean and greased though, they have a pretty big effect on braking. Also make sure the slide pins are in good shape and greased. I -never- bring mine to a dealer or shop for brake work anymore, they always overcharge a huge amount and never do a particularly good job. Also there is a groove in the middle of each pad that pad material, road junk etc can get caught up in. I had a tiny pebble in one of mine and it ruined my rotor and caused really bad wear.

When I had noises and the dealership said they had "cleaned it up and checked it out" all they had done was take the wheel off and clean up the visible brake dust, they hadn't actually check -anything-. My wheel bearing completely failed about 2 months later (enough play that the wheel was just flopping around).
Yea from what it seems, the 2 dealers blew me off. What sucks is there are not many Subaru dealers in the area. I never asked if they actually took apart the pads from the calipers and rotors. I will have to go to the dealer and get a little more agressive with the techs. I didn't think this was normal.

·
Registered
2001 sf6 now w/choo choo 4EAT
511 Posts
One of my buddies who works on cars at work mentioned this. I guess I can go to the dealer and tell them to grease it...
Sounds like your Subaru dealer has some people working there pretending to be mechanics....I would take it somewhere else if at all possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like your Subaru dealer has some people working there pretending to be mechanics....I would take it somewhere else if at all possible.
I'm gonna take it to the 1st dealer there and lay down the law. If they say this is normal, I'll ask them to let me drive own of there used 2009 Foresters and see if this is true.

I am so frikin' tired of these squeaks at every stop!

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Subarus come with crap pads and until you upgrade them it will keep happening. Just make a few hard stops from 55 or so to clean the rotors off before you waste anymore time at the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts