Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester S w/ PP
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 6cd from an sti. I am attempting to get it to work in my 01 forester. I hooked it up and I get the accent lights around the knobs to work, along with the audio and cd functions, but I do not have illumination on the display. I also do not have functionality on the seek knob or the "cd" button. On the back, there is a smaller harness port that I do not have anything to plug into it from my factory harness. Does anyone have a solution for this? Is it not compatible, or should I assume the headunit is broken? Thanks guys/girls.
-Garrett

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
I bought a 6cd from an sti. I am attempting to get it to work in my 01 forester. I hooked it up and I get the accent lights around the knobs to work, along with the audio and cd functions, but I do not have illumination on the display. I also do not have functionality on the seek knob or the "cd" button. On the back, there is a smaller harness port that I do not have anything to plug into it from my factory harness. Does anyone have a solution for this? Is it not compatible, or should I assume the headunit is broken? Thanks guys/girls.
-Garrett
Sounds like its broken. They should all have identical harnesses for plug'n play. I put an 04 WRX cd deck into my wife's 97 Legacy, works perfectly fine with all features.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Yes, the 14-pin harness should be all you need for the power, illumination, and speaker connections. Should be plug-and-play.

Older years use tiny incandescent bulbs, which do eventually burn out. At some point, the HU manufacturers switched to LEDs.

The small 8-pin socket is for a 5th-channel subwoofer output. Some Foresters have a plain speaker in the rear cargo area that connects to that. To enable the output, you have to bridge two of the pins. Had your HU worked, I have the 8-pin plugs that will plug into that port.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts