Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

I'm a newby here...just discovered the forum. I have a 2003 Forester in red...no..."Cayenne"(don't you love the color names?...used to have a Honda that was that metallic beige/silverish/goldish...they called it Cashmere), sorry, no turbo. Currently have 59k miles.

First major problem: Starting smelling hot coolant, got the car home, and had drips of coolant on the garage floor. Couldn't locate the source, so I took it to my neighborhood (well-experienced) garage mechanic. He thought I should really consult the dealer on this one. Dealership diagnosed a leaking head gasket, said Subaru required them to use a "stop-leak" sort of coolant additive. This appears to have stopped the leak, but I still feel like I have a temporary solution to a permanant problem. I have started a file with Sub customer service, but they still insist that there's nothing further that they are willing to do at this point. Im just afraid that 10k miles down the road and out of the drive train warranty, I'll be faced with a $2000 repair on something that should have been fixed under the warranty.

Anybody have any experience with this or a similar situation?

Thanks.
Andy

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
That Subaru stop leak is some good stuff. It works about 90% of the time. I have seen it seal up a 10mm hole.

Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, Ben. Maybe I'll breath a little easier.
10mm hole? Was someone shooting at you?

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts