1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all,
I just joined here to try and learn about the foresters
I've only owned one Subaru (1981 DL Wagon 4wd) and that was 25 years ago

the Forester is a family members car (they dont drive anymore)
I'd be picking it up as my 100mi/day commuter

it's a 2015 2.5i (possibly a Premium)
with the CVT Venetian Red Pearl with Tan interior
no modifications, regular maintenance has been done by dealer

I'm curious if there are any issues I should be aware of

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,463 Posts
Welcome, @KrautBurner

My wife has a 2015 2.5i Premium, too. No Eyesight. I think there's about 55K-miles on it now.

We both really like this vehicle.

Problems we've experienced:

1. Has burned a little oil since the beginning, but never enough to worry about. Oil burning is more pronounced during highway driving. I'd keep track of your oil if you're doing all of that commuting. Yours may not burn any.

2. Had the HVAC blower motor replaced under new-car warranty.

3. Had the AC compressor replaced under extended warranty.

4. Had to get some of the wheel studs replaced under warranty.

5. It's something of a "rattle trap," but this doesn't bother my wife.

Here's a great site with info on all Subarus, although it hasn't been updated in a few years. The following link is for the 2015 Forester:

2015 Subaru Forester research webpage

Your relative may have already had the work done, but there have also been recalls on the brake-light-switch and the rear coil springs.

And a couple/few warranty extensions, the most prominent of which is that your CVT is now warrantied for 10-years/100K-miles.

Mike

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
262 Posts
I had one major issue with an oil seal. Besides that I've had no issues with mine I bought new. I have about 131k miles on it now. About an 80 mile daily round trip, and there were some off roading trips over the years. Mud, sand, snow, moderate trails, and I may have put a little extra stress on it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,227 Posts
My Forester is a 2014 bought new in 2013 and no major issues since new. Some have had issues, more have not.

First thing would be to double check the history of the car for recall work. There are some recalls for different years of the SJ generation - mine was for brake light switch and rear springs. I've had the AC compressor replaced under warranty following a TSB for a newer AC unit compared to when mine was built. I had a few other TSB related fixes done - like flashing the ECU and others.

I did have a leak at the cam carrier seals - this was fixed under warranty which would have been expensive otherwise as they have to pull the engine to get to the seals.

I'm currently at just over 53,000 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
273 Posts
In case you are not aware Subaru extended your CVT warranty to 10 years/100k miles:
MC-10125885-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
This is why we haven’t traded in my wifes 2015, not only is the CVT warranty good until 2025, it has the CVT without the fake shift points programmed in. After driving my 2021 she decided to keep hers way past her usual 3 year trade in cycle.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,328 Posts
Our 2015 2.5i Premium has been excellent. It now has about 49k miles, and isn't being driven as much now we're retired. It's needed little beyond routine maintenance: The documented safety recalls (which are free no matter your warranty status), a repair to the left washer nozzle, a new battery (the OEM battery is a disaster, be sure to check yours and replace it if it's original), tires at 35k, back brakes at 45k (fronts coming soon). It uses a little oil on long sustained drives, but none in routine local driving. We've had no other issues; even the notorious AC still got us through the hottest summer on record.

The worst thing about the car was the Clarion sound system, inferior in every way. Two years ago we replaced the head unit with a Sony and the speakers with Focals and it feels like a new car. And it still runs, rides, and drives like it did when we brought it home over 7 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I'm in the same boat - looking at a 2015 touring with 32k miles on it. Looks like it's been mostly garaged for years and I'm seeing a little rust on the brake rotors and under the hood - but it seems to mostly be alright. I'm getting the dealer to put in new brakes and tires before committing to anything (they're both original! And I'm in New England, so even garaged they've probably seen a lot of weather).

Any other suggestions from y'all about problem areas to check for? What you've mentioned already is very helpful. Due to distance I can't get my normal mechanic to do a full inspection.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still waiting on the family to decide on the price
not in a rush, as I have a decent commuter already (2010 Prius with 198K on it)

I did get to look at the car tho, I'm not sure if it's a Premium or not, but it definitely doesnt have iSight

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,328 Posts
In 2015, Eyesight was optional on the Premium. You can immediately ID from the outside a 2014/2015 Premium by the absence of a factory spoiler but the presence of roof rack and moonroof. Base had no roof accessories; Touring and Limited had the spoiler.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,227 Posts
For the best idea on the trim levels and options on the different models for 2015 - check out cars101.com - specifically this -

Eyesight was not standard across the board back then; it was optional on all but base. Eyesight was not available on models with Black exterior paint due to possible excessive heat issues.
Roof rails were newly available for 2015 but only with the CVT, opt package 02.

Another way to tell if it is a base or some other trim level - dark tinted rear windows. Only the base came with "clear" glass on the rear doors, rear quarter and rear hatch glass. All others had privacy glass standard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts