Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if my question goes here or in the tuning section, but here is my situation...

I recently bought a 2006 XT with a catless DP and I have to get PA emissions and inspection done. I spoke with my local shop and the mechanic said all he cares about is that no CEL codes pop up when he scans the ECU (no visual inspection needed). My car was pro tuned by Cobb Surgeline for the previous owner and the check engine light is not on despite the catless exhaust, so I assume that Cobb deleted the cat CEL code. My question is, if Cobb deleted the code so that the check engine light stays off, is it safe to assume that the code wouldn't show up when scanning the ECU for emissions purposes?

I tried to scan the car with my generic scan tool but it doesn't seem to be working correctly. Usually the scan tool connects to the ECU and then gives me the option to read/clear any codes, but when I plug the tool into the Forester the first thing that pops up is "codes cleared". Then after that it just says "no codes stored".

thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
You will be fine yes they deleted the p0420 code and it will pass the inspection.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Depends on your state - if I'm not mistaken with the p0420 eliminated the sensor displays as "not ready", and different states allow a certain number of sensors to be not ready and still pass. For what it's worth, I passed in MA with mine disabled.

As an aside, I'm running a catted Invidia downpipe and still threw a code, which I wasn't super impressed about it. But I'm glad I didn't have to bother installing anti-foulers to work around it.

·
Registered
2005 FXT 4EAT
182 Posts
As nate said, if this CEL was deleted by a Protune and your mechanic in PA already said all he cares about is what shows up on the scan for the ECU and there is no code then you should have no problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts