Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here are a few pics of the front and back skid plates. the front one went on without a hitch (no pun intended). now the back one is another story. the closeups of the back skid plate show how i used some quick grip clamps on both sides of the differential to pry it forward. in the 'backskidplate' pic it shows what i'm using for both points of contact for the clamp to do it's job. i only came to this realization after a couple hours and help from my roommate. this is the 3/16" thick version so the thinner version should be easier to install i reckon. i was very close to giving up on the back one till the clamps came into my mind, oh, and lots of cursing was to be had.

with the front skid plate, i'm thinking of using the three mounting bolts for a homemade brush guard/bull bar. i'm still throwing around ideas in my head but if i did use the triangle formation of those bolts holding the front brush guard on, then i could remove the bar whenever i need to.

otherwise i'm impressed with the quality and fabrication of the plates just not the directions. they're not the easiest to follow for the back plate as you just use whatever the heck you have around the house basically to pry the differential forward a tad to get the space you need.

still waiting to use them for real and get some scratches on them.

:bananapartyhat:

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just went out and took a measurement and it comes up to just shy of 5". so from the very front edge of the plastic bumper up front to the beginnings of the skid plate, there is a gap of about 5".

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I agree that just does not look right to me, are you sure the lip is supposed to stick out? Did you send Paul a pic of that? I don't know just seems dangerous, or something from a Death Race movie. Well maybe if you sharpened it ;)

·
Registered
2010 Forester
174 Posts
wizardofoz,
The pictures of the front skid plate for the 2009+ Forester look a little different on the Primitive website. The one in your picture shows the front corners chopped off at an angle. The one on the their website does not have this. In addition, the one on the webpage looks like it attaches wth 3 bolts on the front. Your pic only shows 2 bolts on the front. Are you sure you got the right skidplate? 5" is a lot of overhang. I've been thinking about buying the Primitive front skid plate for my '10 Forester nonturbo but I'll be contacting Primitive first to see if they can provide additional details.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Hmmmm....... doesnt look right! The front edge of the skid plate will dig into the ground/snow/ice for sure, and that could be a real mess. It will fold back under the car and in a worst case scenario, create serious damage.

This looks like a serious design problem –*does Primitive have any comment?

M

·
Registered
2010 forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey all,

so i sent paul a message with one of the pics that i have attached here (one without black text stickers). he says it is on correctly as the side picture shows. he goes on to explain that Subaru has shortened the overhang, and so they decided to help protect the bumper lip by having the plate turn up right in front of it. and the corners have been cut to best match contour of the bumper. his picture (other one attached) is the version i have, though he has kept portions of the black plastic guards but has cut them to fit the skid plate.

does the mob approve? haha :mob:

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
Wow. The profile shot doesn't look nearly as bad as the middle one in your OP. I guess perspective is everything...
Yeah -- it looks very different, doesn't it. I've been thinking of getting the Primitive skid plates recently but the original picture really made me wonder; the side view kinda restores my faith in them...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
174 Posts
It acually looks like a much tighter fit with the photo shot from the side. Did you end up removing the black plastic guards before you installed the skidplate? Also, how solid is the 3 bolt attachment? If you push on a rear corner, does it flex much?

I just ordered the same setup for my 2010 2.5X yesterday. Your writeup and follow-up helped my with the purchase decision -Thanks! My immediate need for the skidplate is to keep all the salt debri off the engine. They use so much salt on our roads up here in Ohio that it looks like one big Margarita.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
25 Posts
This looks very similar to my 09FXT plate. I just installed it early this week. I actually like the idea turning the front of the plate up just to protect bumper lip -- especially for us who live in snow zone -- we sometimes park right into snow bank.

My plate shape is a little different, probably because of XT. Paul screwed up a little bit by welding the spacer at wrong position though (as shown in last picture), I had to cut it off and place it back to the right hole. I'm thinking I still need to have it welded for better solidness.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts