Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details to follow - just want to give my Forester peeps the heads up... Paul Eklund and his crew will be bringing their Primitive Rally School to the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in Santa Rosa this spring. For more info please go to http://get-primitive.com/ and click on RALLY SCHOOL. Since Santa Rosa is practically in our backyard, Roo and I will be there volunteering whereever needed and capturing the action as event photographers this year.

I heartily recommend this event to anyone who wants to improve their dirt driving skills or who's interested in getting into any type of rallying (TSD to stage rally) for competition or just recreation. Or just join in for the sheer fun of it!

Here's a collection of pictures from last year's Rally School in Vallejo: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/primitive-rally-school-scca-rallycross-vallejo-ca-50978/
Last year's event thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/norcal-primitive-paul-eklund-rally-school-march-27-28-29-2009-a-48517/

EVENT INFORMATION

Have you ever wanted to...
  • Drive sideways in the dirt?
  • Learn how to rally, really handle a car at speed, and even drift?
  • Learn how the rally professionals drive so fast?
  • Enjoy a day of friendly competition in a safe environment?
  • Learn how to do the Scandanavian Flick?
SIGN UP for the PRIMITIVE PERFORMANCE RALLY DRIVING SCHOOL! 2.5 Days of great fun and solid learning in a big open field. Use your car and save $$$ or rent one of ours... Get details, updates and contact info at: http://get-primitive.com/ under RALLY SCHOOL Regular entry rate is $345 for 2.5 days if you use your own car and there is a discount for early entry. Rental cars available for a significant additional fee.

Friday night: Classroom ground school with guest speakers, demonstrations, goodie bag and rally textbook. 6pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: All day driving instruction with a trained instructor and includes a mini rally. Graduation runs (timed) at the end of the day.
Saturday evening: no host cocktails at HQ Marriott after we clean up, and optional group dinner at local restaurant for bench racing and some well deserved relaxation
Sunday: Real RallyCross competition (open to all) 8am -5pm A chance to beat your instructor!

School headquarters is the Courtyard by Marriott located at:
175 Railroad Street Santa Rosa CA 95401
707-573-9000

The school gets a special rate of $109/night that includes the full breakfast buffet for 2 people.
Two Double Bed Room Reservation Link
King Bed Room Reservation Link

Fairgrounds location:
1350 Bennett Valley Road
Santa Rosa, CA 95404-5519
2009 Sonoma County Fair

Primtive Rally School

List of sf.org attendees
  • snoshado
  • illmannered

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Early bird registration for the Rally School is now open on Paul's website until 2/27/10 (saves $25 over the regular rate). Roo and I are currently working on the lodging details, if anyone needs a hotel room. There will be a group code for discounted room rates. I wil update with details as soon as things are finalized. Rental rally beaters are available (including his Alcan 5000 Forester, pictured above), but require prior arrangements!

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The final confirmation from the SoCo Fairgrounds is in... the dates are now 100% confirmed. So far 15 people are confirmed/signed up for the school. They might cap it at 20, so if anyone wants in, don't waste any time. Also, your rally school fee covers the entry fee for Sunday's SCCA Rally-X.

I will post a link for discounted hotel room rates at the Courtyard Marriott in Santa Rosa in the next couple of days.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
How hard is it on your car? I have some time off around them, and I'd love to come down! Would it be best to run big blocky snow tires?

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How hard is it on your car? I have some time off around them, and I'd love to come down! Would it be best to run big blocky snow tires?
Snow or all-terrain tires would work just fine. Paul's Alcan Forester (pic above) was running tires like that and it made for some great dirt rooster-tails! :lol:

You may need an alignment afterwards and your car WILL get dirty, but that's about it. The dirt in this field (unlike last year) is pretty smooth and mostly free of gravel and big rocky chunks, so I don't expect the same sandblasting of the paint we saw in Vallejo last year. Be sure to bring a spare tire, though. Popping a bead is the most common mishap, but you can minimize the risk by airing up your tires to about 38-40 psi.

Would be fun to finally meet you! Jamie aka Subie Gal will be there too as part of the crew of instructors.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Just looking at the Primitive website and there's a school in Portland towards the end of March (?).

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First post has been updated with official event and hotel information!

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started a list in the first post. Roo and I will be there armed with camera gear on Saturday.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Primitive Rally School Northern California 4/9-4/11

Just wondering who else on here is considering going?? I am. :rock:

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
I'm from the Peninsula (San Mateo/Palo Alto) area. We could split a motel room. I think Silke and Roo are going to be in the house as well. Which is ruling.
Are you gonnabring your Momma's Foz? Will she let you?? LOL

1 - 20 of 41 Posts